Question about session layer

xopitoxopito Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I understand that the session layer is in charge of creating, maintaining and closing the communication between two end devices, however in some books says that the session layer adds the port number and the transport layer based on that, segment the data into tcp or udp. It is really confusing, can someone tell me if what I am saying is right or no?

Regards
Xopito

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Think of the session layer as an administrative assistant. It's duty is to keep it's executives (applications) on track and going to the right meetings/conferences/luncheons(sessions).

It keeps the calendar up to date by setting up meetings, canceling meetings when they are no longer needed and keeping track of all meetings that it's executives are currently involved in.
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Think of the session layer as an administrative assistant. It's duty is to keep it's executives (applications) on track and going to the right meetings/conferences/luncheons(sessions).

It keeps the calendar up to date by setting up meetings, canceling meetings when they are no longer needed and keeping track of all meetings that it's executives are currently involved in.

That's a very nice analogy. If you don't mind, I may even end up using it at some point in the future.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I do not mind at all. Glad I could help.