Options

70-680 Pass

LlaneLlane Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

a rather quiet observer with a little write up here.

Passed the 70-680 with a 809 score today. Not the best in the world, but a pass is a pass.

IT Background
I started my certification path last year with the A+. After I got my CCNA late last year I landed my first job in IT. The 70-680 was my first Microsoft Exam.

I've been working with Windows 7 (allthough only as a home user) ever since it came out.

Study Materials
Sybex MCTS Windows 7, Configuring - William Panek
I felt like it did supply me with the basic stuff that I needed to know for the exam. However, it's rather dry to read and has a few errors in it. Probably still better than the MS Press Book, though.

CBTNuggets 70-680 Series - James Conrad
I enjoyed this video series. After Chris Bryant (Cisco Mentor) he was the 2nd video training that I actually enjoyed watching. I also felt like he covered a LOT of more in-depth stuff that the book did not even mention. Also, hes hilarious. icon_mrgreen.gif

Kaplan SelfTest Software
This one was a lot more domain-heavy than the actual exam. Since some questions are a lot harder than the actual exam stuff (typical for these products, right?) I also felt like they covered some bits and pieces for me that I didn't know before.

Exam Thoughts

I didn't find Windows Deployment very difficult in the exam. The questions were very general; beside asking for some command-line switches. What threw me off a bit more is that the exam threw command-line tools at me that I didn't even know existed.. or were mentioned in any of my study materials. But that's the nature of Microsoft exams, I suppose?

I scored full on Deployment but weaker on some other areas. Mobile Computing was my worst.

I'm taking a little break, then onward to 685/686.

Have a great week, guys! icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, and thank you for the overview of your study methods and exam experience. Don't forget to update your TechExams profile with your new MCTS cert.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, and thanks for the info. Last time I tried the 680 I failed, but next time I'll have it!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

What were the command line tools that you were not familiar with? Was it documented in your Sybex book?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    Congrats.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot for the Info and congrats on your pass
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    LlaneLlane Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jinuyr wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!

What were the command line tools that you were not familiar with? Was it documented in your Sybex book?
    I remember a question about the MBSA, or the MBSACLI to be more specific.

I just started reading the Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration book for the 70-685 and 70-686 exams (by Darril Gibson) and I can only recommend it to people who are still struggling with the 70-680.