developer--script error question

yanquiyanqui Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
What does this error mean?

Internet Explorer Script Error
!An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 15
Char: 1
Error: Object Required
Code: 0
URL: file://C:\Program Files\MCSE Readiness Review\N10-002\Engine\RRev.htm

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
Makin' it happen regardless...

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    It's IE, expect errors.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • yanquiyanqui Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I know that, but that's what the program uses, and other people have gotten it to run without errors.

I'm going to try a cleanup of spyware and disabling the popup blockers on Firefox to see if they're making trouble.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    did you copy an html file without its file ex:*.gif image etc...?
    or did you move it without its content folder?
    the script needs to know where the html's associated files exist.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    did you copy an html file without its file ex:*.gif image etc...?
    or did you move it without its content folder?
    the script needs to know where the html's associated files exist.

I installed it to its own folder and it created the subfolders it needed, it was a normal installation. I haven't moved or deleted anything from it since then.

I have been googling and found that it could be any of several other things: my firefox popup blocker, some adware or spyware, junky temporary internet files, antivirus program scanning temporary internet files and downloaded program files, or a corrupted scripting tool, just to name a few. I'm at work right now and the computer in question isn't, so tonite I'll go through these things from easiest to less-so and maybe I'll find the problem within the first few checks. Either way, I'll come back and let you know so if you hear about this thing again you'll know what to tell the person.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Wow... Talk about bringing this back from the dead!

Anyway, this caught my eye while searching google because I am having the same exact problem with the MCSE Readiness program that came with my new book for the 219. I had the same problem with one from the 218 as well a while back.

The program would only work on my Windows 2000 server (evaluation version) which I had not once done a windows update on. I had tried the program on at least a half dozen other computers, including 3 Windows XP machines, 2 with IE7, 1 with IE 6 and I also tried a couple Windows 2000 server computers here at work.... No go....

What ends up happening is that when you launch the file you get you get the Script Error, doesn't matter, you can continue onward, only to discover that there is not question or answers displayed... It appears that the rest of the test window is displayed fine though.

The program launches from an HTA file, which then of course reads the RRev.htm file. The errors point to encoded lines in the htm file using jscript.encode. So it is difficult for me to really see whats going on with it. My only option is to really just run this program from the 2000 server at home unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Please advise if I need to start my own thread on this. Thanks.
    It's interesting that this should come up again. I had been trying to run it on Windows 98, never could get it to run. After I upgraded to Win2k, It ran just fine. Then I tried installing it on WinXP, and get similar errors. Of course, at this piont, that CD is now old news. The material available on it won't cover the 2005 objectives, even though the basic principles of networking are the same, the presentation and emphasis may be different. In my case, the material I was using, which had problems on both W98 and WinXP, didn't even cover XP.
    yanqui wrote:
    It's interesting that this should come up again. I had been trying to run it on Windows 98, never could get it to run. After I upgraded to Win2k, It ran just fine. Then I tried installing it on WinXP, and get similar errors. Of course, at this piont, that CD is now old news. The material available on it won't cover the 2005 objectives, even though the basic principles of networking are the same, the presentation and emphasis may be different. In my case, the material I was using, which had problems on both W98 and WinXP, didn't even cover XP.

Yeah, it works on the 1 Win2k machine I have but not the others... The only difference is that the one I have at home has not been updated. I'm guessing that there was some kind of security update somewhere along the line that that does not like something in the code on those readiness review tests....

I'm willing to bet that it has to do with an Internet Explorer update.
    OK! Cool! I found a patch online and got this working!

For anyone who runs into this in the future I hope the following link will be of some help!

http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_885674.aspx

Download the file

extract it to c:\program files\mcse readiness review\test number

then browse to that folder and run the patch (batch file)
    When you say you got it working, on what OS's is it working?

I think I kept my W2k pretty well updated until I rebuilt it back to factory W98 so my kids could play their games, and it never crashed on W2k. But it never ever did work on XP. So is it working on an updated W2k machine or on an XP machine, or both?
    It's working on my XP SP2 machine. I have not tried the patch on any other computers at this time.
    Thanks so much for your update on that. I'll try it out. I'll need to get the laptop in to work so I can download it, it's just too frustrating to try to download anything on a dial-up line, and there are still areas of our great nation where that's all there is, and I live in one of them.