I find Todd Lammle 7th book difficult to follow

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
I've been trying to study for the CCNA.

I've gone through the CBT videos and also done the labs from the video.

I thought for me the next step was to ready a book and get more focused on the material.

I was recommend Todd Lammle book and while reading the 1st chapter I find my self reading section again and again. I don't seem to understand things and feel that the book it really vague on the foundation on the subject.

Has anybody else found this problem?

Comments

• MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I have the 6th edition in e-reader format. I only got through the first few chapters. Then I had to stop as I found the writing jumped around too much. Though I did purchase the 7th edition to give it another "chance". As I do like the question/written lab layout & the added PT labs look interesting. I will use Todd's book as a second quick read. My main source is Odom's CCNA library. I find his writing much better & in-depth. Some feel it's more dry and formal than Lammle. I've never found that myself but YMMV. Another one is Chris Bryant CCNA e-book kit. Which is similar to Lammle in that it's an informal tone.

I'd suggest checking out Odom's book and/or Bryant. Since using multiple sources gives a different view and helps to solidify the material. You may find Odom or Chris easier to understand.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    You might benefit from the Odom Cisco Press book or Chris Bryant's materials. Authors display things in different ways and people learn in different ways.

The other thing you can do is after you read the chapter, move on to the next, take the practice exam, research the answers. Move on and then go back and retake the pre or post test for the chapter prior to the one you are reading and research those answers you got wrong.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    j-man wrote: »
    You might benefit from the Odom Cisco Press book or Chris Bryant's materials. Authors display things in different ways and people learn in different ways.

The other thing you can do is after you read the chapter, move on to the next, take the practice exam, research the answers. Move on and then go back and retake the pre or post test for the chapter prior to the one you are reading and research those answers you got wrong.

^^what he said. I also found Lammle's book hard to understand, especially some of the analogy he uses. The information was vague and wasn't too helpful. I think I stopped reading after I got to Spanning-Tree, where his coverage of RSTP was like 3 sentences long.

Odom's book, on the other hand, is straight to the point and cover the material with much more depth. It's a great supplement to the CBT nuggets videos and help fills in any gap from the videos.
  • lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    Thanks,

One of the main reason I brought Todd Lammle book was that it was a new edition and Cisco press has not been updated since 2007. This to me started ringing alarm bells thinking that the Cisco books where not up to date with the materials.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lon21 wrote: »
    Thanks,

One of the main reason I brought Todd Lammle book was that it was a new edition and Cisco press has not been updated since 2007. This to me started ringing alarm bells thinking that the Cisco books where not up to date with the materials.

The test hasn't changed in that time, so Odom's book is still good.

This is why I always point people to Google Books to see the previews of each contained there. It's not the whole books, but it's enough to get a taste of each authors writing style.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The test hasn't changed in that time, so Odom's book is still good.

This is why I always point people to Google Books to see the previews of each contained there. It's not the whole books, but it's enough to get a taste of each authors writing style.

I could not find Odom's Book in google preview.
  • jtdk985jtdk985 Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you know i liked the first half of the book, but the 2nd half was terrible for some reason. things didnt add up like they should of. so i kept switching between odoms and lammles, if you can get both then i would say do it.

or even chris bryants ultimate ccna study guide for the $25. i have that also, and it helps clarify things from both books seeing it in different words.
  • toddlammletoddlammle Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please understand that the CCNA is not an entry level book and that you should have at a minimum a current Network+ before attempting any CCNA studies. My first four chapters are review chapters and were written with the thought that people needed an internetworking review and update for the CCNA objectives, not start them out with networking basics.

With that said and you're not just starting out with networking, everyone is not going to love my book, nor Cisco Press book, either way that's why multiple authors write these books - because people read and learn from different sources. Just as people are different, so are authors. And I respect that people have different opinions and express them here and even on my own forum.

My new book was written for the new updated 640-802 exam, and I quote from cisco here: "refreshed" in April 2011. My latest book covers these latest new objectives. So, Yes, the test has been updated and revised and my book has the latest, updated information.

I also updated all my material and added a lot of Packet Tracer labs and bonus material and a simulation practice exam with fifteen different challenge labs, plus more than than 800 new practice questions and hundreds of all new flash cards.

If there are any questions regarding my materials for the book, DVD's, etc, I'll be glad to answer and provde direction if possible, or even listen to criticism.

Thank you,
    Todd Lammle
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey Todd, i just bought the book, how do i gain access to the packet tracer labs? Also is there a way to put the flash cards on android phones?
    What I found is Todd first chapter are difficult to read. I find the information all over the place where ref are made backward and forwards. i.e. information does not flow. Therefore I read the 1st chapter 3 times to get a good understanding.

I've also brought the Cisco press books 3rd edition but when I open the box the books are 2nd edition, have I got the wrong books?

What I'm doing is going though Todd's books and going through the same chapter again the next day (twice). If there is anything which I don't understand I use the Cisco books to clear thing up.

I found that as you read though Todd's books the information does flow better. Also the Cisco books are just filled with mountains of information.

Todd's is more to the point when it comes to information which may have to read more than once. i.e. chapter 3.
    Yes thats normal, its the Cisco exam certification library third edition, but the books are the 2nd edition
  • BlueEyedSamuraiBlueEyedSamurai Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I happen to love the book. I read the sixth edition and am now reading the 7th edition. I find the book really easy to follow and the way he repeats the material over and over it just sinks in. I too have watched the CBT Nuggets video series for the CCNA, and that alone will not allow you to pass this exam. If you are having to reread chapters, perhaps the material is not sinking in yet (no offense intended). Keep reading and rereading until you are able to explain it to someone else. I would also suggest the Simulator at Boson for the CCNA (CCNA Network Simulator & Router Simulator - NetSim 8.0 - 640-802). Good luck. -Samurai
    Always studying for something!
  • VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found Todd's book to be easy to read as well. The CCNA book can be a little overwhelming so I bought the CCENT book (written by Todd). Once I passed ICND1, I started reading the CCNA book and skip the stuff thats been covered by the CCENT one.
    jtdk985 wrote: »
    Hey Todd, i just bought the book, how do i gain access to the packet tracer labs? Also is there a way to put the flash cards on android phones?

Yes, email your receipt to todd@lammle.com and I will send you a lot of bonus material, all the packet tracer labs, and even more! It's a valuable resource to email me and get this bonus material.

No, Sybex has not updated that dang program. No iphone, etc, support yet, but they are working on it.

Thank you!
    Todd Lammle
    www.lammle.com/forum
    lon21 wrote: »
    What I found is Todd first chapter are difficult to read. I find the information all over the place where ref are made backward and forwards. i.e. information does not flow. Therefore I read the 1st chapter 3 times to get a good understanding.

I've also brought the Cisco press books 3rd edition but when I open the box the books are 2nd edition, have I got the wrong books?

What I'm doing is going though Todd's books and going through the same chapter again the next day (twice). If there is anything which I don't understand I use the Cisco books to clear thing up.

I found that as you read though Todd's books the information does flow better. Also the Cisco books are just filled with mountains of information.

Todd's is more to the point when it comes to information which may have to read more than once. i.e. chapter 3.

Yes, I am very to the point when it comes to the objectives, and my first 3 chapters are review of internetworking as Cisco see's it. But I don't waste pages in my new 7th edition - everything is important, and I do repeat tough subjects, and even mention that you may need to re-read certain subjects. Who wouldn't need to go over subnetting when studying for the CCNA? Even someone with 20 years expereince needs to refresh on TCP/IP basics and subnetting.

Please email me at todd@lammle.com with your receipt for the 7th edition and get the bonus material.

Cheers!
    Todd Lammle
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums Todd!

I've always liked your writing style - I still have your old 640-607 Sybex book on my shelf.

But why do you have a whole chapter on the Cisco 1900 switch?

icon_mrgreen.gif
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Great to see Mr Todd Lammle in this forum too. :)

I intend to get two books authored by him

1. CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide 7th Edition
    2. CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Review Guide

I find that his book is quite easy to read. I will be using his and Mr Odom's materials together for my CCNA study.
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    I found his book easy to follow to be honest. Especially if you start reading it after cbt nuggets videos, then for sure will be easier to understand. I am CCNA and i owe to this book too. I was reading even when i was at the toilet. It maybe seems to be difficult to understand but don't give up. If it is necessary to read it few times for each chapter, do it. All we know that the topic is not something usual, so needs to be given more effort.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    chopsticks wrote: »
    Great to see Mr Todd Lammle in this forum too. :)

I intend to get two books authored by him

1. CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide 7th Edition
    2. CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Review Guide

I find that his book is quite easy to read. I will be using his and Mr Odom's materials together for my CCNA study.

Bought this two books today. icon_study.gif
  • jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    emailed Todd my receipt and he was quick to send me the bonus material! Thanks Todd very awesome of you.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    toddlammle wrote: »
    Please understand that the CCNA is not an entry level book and that you should have at a minimum a current Network+ before attempting any CCNA studies. My first four chapters are review chapters and were written with the thought that people needed an internetworking review and update for the CCNA objectives, not start them out with networking basics.

Todd, I'm not trying to slam or attack you.

I have Network+ along with a few college degrees, and I cannot follow your book to save my soul. I also cannot follow Odom's book either.

Studying for the CCNA has been one of the most painful and frustrating processes ever.

And finally almost after 3 years of trying to study for this, I'm close to taking the CCENT.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown