Options

IT Career Advice: Where do I start?

CubanicousCubanicous Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Two years ago I was going to community college for an assoicate's degree in Computer Information Systems. I have decided to go back to school and change my career (currently I am a Mall Cop). I wanted to go to WGU, but I don't meet the admission requirements, I have no degree or any certifications. I also want to change my career in the next 6 months and find an entry level job in IT. Computer networking and network security are what I want to specialize in.

So which certifications should I go for?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the site!

Focus on finding that first job as much as you would on getting a certification. If you have no background in computers, you should begin with the CompTIA A+/Network+ certifications, both entry-level and should get your resume looked at by HR. Spend some time on the resume too.

Another word of advice, IT can be quite difficult to break into. It might take you a month or could take you a year, cold and harsh reality. It took me 10 months to find my first IT gig in spite of having an MS under by belt. Do not get discouraged easily, keep firing out the resume and work away on those certs.

Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey buddy!

I need a little more information from you? Where have you been and where do you want to go? And what kind of learner are you?

Generally people are going to start with A+, Network+ and now days Apple Certified Support Professional. They are easy enough certs to earn and they will open your eyes to what is out there. And the material is plentiful.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    CubanicousCubanicous Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have completed a year of community college taking basic classes like intro programming, network, html etc..... Right now I am re-reading a network+ textbook I took in college, and I have been teaching myself website design for my hobby. I can teach myself just about anything by self study.

Ultimately I want to specialize in Network security
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    There are tons of information about network security here but to be able to jump into that, you need to learn the basic.

Network + > CCENT > CCNA > CCNA-Sec > CCNP-Sec > CISSP CEH > CISA > CISM > GIAC

Somewhat on that order.

There's so much to learn. Now start from Network +
  • Options
    SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Start with A+ and move up from there
  • Options
    smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't get into IT! After 5 years in this industry, I've come to realize you're just everybody's *****. It doesn't matter how educated you are or how many certs you have, you'll just be looked at as a peon and be thrown under the bus at every opportunity by your co-workers. I wish I had gone into medicine or something with some meaning. Sorry to be so negative, but I'm extremely jaded and burnt out at this point.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    smg1138 wrote: »
    Don't get into IT! After 5 years in this industry, I've come to realize you're just everybody's *****. It doesn't matter how educated you are or how many certs you have, you'll just be looked at as a peon and be thrown under the bus at every opportunity by your co-workers. I wish I had gone into medicine or something with some meaning. Sorry to be so negative, but I'm extremely jaded and burnt out at this point.

You don't happen to post on the dice.com forums do you? ;)
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■

Seems you work in a hellhole buddy. Just find another job, you have the experience and the certs.

Get out of there and thou shalt find happiness.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

I was thinking the same thing! LMAO
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□

Dude
    if your life is miserable, don't try to make other peoples life miserable too.
    Change your job or do something..uuuggghhh!!!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Nicely played... ;)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Yeah, I'm not everybodys *****. I'm accountable to a few executives here and there, but for the most part, I function as a proxy for the wrath of god (aka, upper management) when it comes to keeping users in line. Go ahead, stream Netflix on company time. See what happens.

This is the first thing that someone sees as they approach my desk.

saurfang2.jpg
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Yeah, I'm not everybodys *****. I'm accountable to a few executives here and there, but for the most part, I function as a proxy for the wrath of god (aka, upper management) when it comes to keeping users in line. Go ahead, stream Netflix on company time. See what happens.

This is the first thing that someone sees as they approach my desk.

saurfang2.jpg

LOL, WOW much?
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    cbolton09cbolton09 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rejection from one college does not mean you should entirely give up hope on a college education. In my opinion, you should try and pursue a Computer Science Degree with an Information System Security emphasis. See if you are eligible for admission to California College San Diego; they allow you to finish it in as little as 30 months even though the stipulated time is 36 months, and most importantly, as a college, they have a solid reputation and are accredited by the ACCSC (Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges).