Options

Windows 8 interface

MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just saw this video on Gizmodo... Gotta say... Im digging it.

Windows 8 and Its Incredibly Cool New Touch Interface

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IF it is so smooth on "normal" hardware too then yea - agree :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Just saw this video on Gizmodo... Gotta say... Im digging it.

Windows 8 and Its Incredibly Cool New Touch Interface

Looks pretty sweet!

Will Windows 8 work on computer and tablets, or is it just for tablets?
    Is it me or does it feel like Windows 7 just came out?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks pretty sweet!

Will Windows 8 work on computer and tablets, or is it just for tablets?

He does say in the video it works with everything pretty much
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It looks pretty cool so far icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

i feel the same way
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

2009 - so with a 3 - 4 year release cycle we can expect to see the beta coming out near the end of this year or the start of 2012. I'm betting on Oct/November - although there is that big dev conference in September...
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here is another link that I stumbled across.

Microsoft unveils Windows 8 (video) -- Engadget

I laugh because it was only months ago Microsoft denied that they were working on Windows 8...
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks good and a heck of a change from the old UI

Definitely will have to get used to this "tiles" based UI instead of the traditional icons/desktop look
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Here is another link that I stumbled across.

Microsoft unveils Windows 8 (video) -- Engadget

I laugh because it was only months ago Microsoft denied that they were working on Windows 8...

What are you talking about? They said back when Vista was released they would be back on a 3-4 year OS release cycle and the Windows 8 Milestone 1 was leaked a few months ago as well. It's been common knowledge that this was in the works as Win 7 was hitting RC. Perhaps they refused to comment on it but there is no way they could have denied they were working on it. They did, however, deny that there was a firm release date or that we could even count on it being released in 2012, but that's not the same as denying it was in the works.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Looks good and a heck of a change from the old UI

Definitely will have to get used to this "tiles" based UI instead of the traditional icons/desktop look
    I think it has both, when they open Word & Excel you see the normal user interface behind the new tiled interface. So I reckon they have both and you could probably turn off the new user interface quite easily if you wanted to.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That looks god awful. I've got a cell phone and a tablet I don't need a bigger one of those devices. Hopefully you can turn off the newer stuff and just get down to a normal looking OS. It looks great for phones and tablets but I just wonder about the office users that need functionality not a lot of pretty little apps.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I think it has both, when they open Word & Excel you see the normal user interface behind the new tiled interface. So I reckon they have both and you could probably turn off the new user interface off quite easily.

Some of the images I have seen of the Milestone builds show the typical Windows 7 "explorer" style interface - so I imagine you are correct. I bet the tiles UI will be a "mode" that you can enter into from the standard "Explorer" mode.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here is a link to the 20 minute video: Neowin.net - Further Windows 8 details announced, AllThingsD video available scroll down to the bottom of the article.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The interface looks good for a tablet, not so much for a normal pc (I'm glad that the normal interface is still available.) It looks like a glorified version of Windows Media Center.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like how they combined iOS and Windows 7 features, like the snap feature. I think I use snap more than any other feature of Windows 7 it's great for single monitor setups and dual screens as well. I think the touch interface will become the norm for most users since you can use a mouse and keyboard as well.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I like how they combined iOS and Windows 7 features, like the snap feature. I think I use snap more than any other feature of Windows 7 it's great for single monitor setups and dual screens as well. I think the touch interface will become the norm for most users since you can use a mouse and keyboard as well.

I use snap all day every day. That is one thing I could not live without at this point. TechNet or MSDN article on the right of my wide screen, VisualStdio or SSMS on the left and all my tool bars/tool boxes on the smaller monitor. I almost kissed the guy who showed me how to use snap with the arrow keys.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Looks like what should have been the tablet version of Windows 7.

Otherwise, I've seen eye candy hyped up and disappear before (Aero/Sidebar gadgets.)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    gbuc40gbuc40 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks cool. I'd probably like it more if I enjoyed touch screens.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Reminds me a little bit of Unity the Ubuntu Interface, Which I didn't like lol I guess I like the classic look of windows i'm not into touch or gesturing give me a keyboard and mouse anyday of the week, I will be building a new rig for Windows 8 though so I can learn all about it :) But your right do we really need Windows 8 right now? isn't Windows 7 good enough?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I doubt that many businesses/schools will embrace Windows 8 as many of them have yet to stop using Windows XP. I went to my local community college a few months ago and saw that they have new computers with Windows XP. They will be clinging to XP until 2014 (or perhaps even longer if support gets extended yet again.)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The interface looks strange to me, but that's only because it's new and I haven't used it yet. (The old XP interface looked wonky in those initial preview videos back in 2000, as well.) I'm sure that, whatever changes they make, we'll get used to them and start taking advantage of whatever design changes are made in time, as well as taking advantage of whatever under-the-hood changes have been made too. That being said, I do have one thought on the Windows 8 interface. . .

It seems to me that Microsoft's been needing a boost since the Zune failed to capture any real marketshare in competing with the iPod, and Microsoft's been lacking in the handheld and tablet market for a while now. It looks like they're trying to make a push towards tablet and handheld dominance as well as the desktop and laptop market. They're styling their flagship OS as a touch-friendly, Android/iPhone/Palm style experience, (like the side-scrolling image previews, for example,) and I see this as a push to try to strong-arm hardware manufacturers to make touch-compatible devices as commonplace as laptops and desktops.

At least, that's what I think Microsoft's strategy is. They've pushed the market before, with both XP and Vista making huge hardware demands on launch, and I think this is a very similar push. Microsoft wants to stay ahead of the trend towards tablets and handhelds as the preferred computing device of choice for consumers, and this is how they're going to try to do it. (We'll have to wait and see if there are going to be any future tutorials on YouTube on how to install Windows 8 on your pre-existing Android device, but you can bet that's the kind of attention Microsoft's hoping for.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks pretty cool so far icon_thumright.gif

Yea, so far....I'm sure new enhancements will make it even better
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    The question is will I buy a really cool smart phone (mini computer) or a tablet (slightly bigger mini computer) as my next computer hardware device. 2012 is going to be an interesting year for sure. So many choices...
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed