Options

How to handle this possible job change

techtimetechtime Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently leading a team of 4 help desk people where we touch the normal stuff, BES, AD, laptops, desktops. blah blah blah

Work for a consulting company on site at a medium sized business
45 hrs a week
45k per year

I was approched by a friend of mine whose company which is about the same size as our consulting company that is looking for a help desk manager, which to me now sounds like a customer support manager.

I would be managing 4-5 help desk guys that answer customer support calls on their software, which worries me on my technical skills, but it is a management position, which is what I want. Insurance is better, time off same, pay ???? my guess is the mid to upper 50's

I have interviewed and spoke to them on the phone. They asked for my references last Friday which I was told is the last step before an offer.

Does this hurt my chances of moving forward since I work on only one software product? Or does it open the door to Sr mgmnt? I would like to get everyones thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like a step up.

Depends on the software product, a globally recognized versus a small proprietary niche. But gaining management skills can open doors in the future...
  • Options
    techtimetechtime Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a nationally based software that could become global. Plans are for the company to grow by 100% in the next 12 months
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That potentially could be come very good!

I remember when Clarify CRM was first ramping up, I'd see job ads for 6 month contracts for $1000 or more per day for people with Clarify experience.

You could easily ride the crest of growth. You could affect that growth.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you don't like it, you can always get on with a traditional IT helpdesk as a manager once you have the manager experience.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...