Options

Similarity between 70-647 and 70-646

I am taking a global knowledge course for 70-647 for the upgrade from my MCSE 2003 to MCITP: EA and was wondering how much of a leap it would be for the material for 70-646. Passing the 646 as well would give me MCITP: SA. It seems that the 646 gives you 2 of the 3 MCTS designations that the 647 does so I am wondering if its a complete overlap where 647 just has more material, or if they are in different ballparks. Has anyone taken both, and how about back to back?
Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella

Comments

• Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Microsoft's official description of the two exams is as follows:

646:
    A server administrator is responsible for the operations and day-to-day management of an infrastructure of Windows Server 2008 R2 servers for an enterprise organization. Windows server administrators manage the infrastructure, Web, and IT application servers. The Windows server administrators use scripts and batch files written by others or those that they occasionally write themselves to accomplish tasks on a regular basis. They conduct most server management tasks remotely by using Remote Desktop Server or administration tools installed on their local workstation.

647:
    The enterprise administrator is responsible for the overall Windows Server 2008 R2 environment and architecture. The enterprise administrator translates business goals into technology decisions and designs mid-range to long-term strategies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    I appreciate your response but I have read the descriptions from Microsoft’s page. I am certainly not new to the certification or IT scene and have done my home work. My question is about the content similarities of the exams from anyone who has taken them both.
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    I have taken both exams and the content overlaps. The EA 647 goes in to more larger scale scenarios than the 646.

If you know the material from all the other exams for the 2008 track you can pass both of these PRO exams.

Good luck.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    Glad to see this thread! I am planning on taking the 646 later this month. Then the 643 next month and the 647 finally in Sept. My only regret right now is that I wish I had planned on doing the 643 first, then the 646. IIS is a weak subject for me and the 646 covers it.

I've already studies the 646 quite a bit and need to use an exam voucher before month end. Otherwise, I'd just do the 643 first but I'm not sure I could get it done before the end of June.
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    I have taken both exams and the content overlaps. The EA 647 goes in to more larger scale scenarios than the 646.

If you know the material from all the other exams for the 2008 track you can pass both of these PRO exams.

Good luck.

Thanks dood! icon_thumright.gif Just the info I was looking for!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod

Good luck.

I agree with this. I completed MCITP:EA earlier this year. Last week I scheduled 70-646 for 6/28 (so I don't lose DreamSpark voucher) and while reviewing the MS Press and Sybex books I found that I know over 95% of the content.