Options

Security Faux Pas

JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
*sigh*

So during my walk around the property today I come across one of our only proxy card enabled doors. The reader is mounted on the wall protruding a few inches from the wall with a pipe shooting up to the ceiling.

I see a card on top of the reader that appeared to be blank on one side. I turn it over and find the badge of an employee who appears to have purposefully left the card on the reader for convenience. >__<

Looks like it's time to do some training again.

Anyone else run into this?

PS: Just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Can I get a move please? Sorry, heh

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need a coffee-machine that requires the card.

That way people will always have it with them icon_wink.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How big is your security hammer and how hard can you swing it? :)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    It's not large, medium I would say. It comes with a decent amount of support from the organization, I would just have to put in the additional time in heading up the training to enforce security best practices. I don't really have the time for it, but it's not something that should be taken lightly since that area is publicly accessible and that's just complete negligence there if you ask me.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a perfect candidate for your organization's Hall of Shame.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does your organisation seperate IT security and Physical Secuity?
    We have Site Security Controllers who control physical access.

Maybe the hammer can be swung, but you need not do the swinging?
  • Options
    We have a department that handles physical security but for matters like smart/proxy cards it's a joint effort between three different departments. One to provision, one to oversee the process, and one to enforce. In recent months however a department has had to step in and assist the other, not with giving up access rights and preventing collusion but mainly in regards to training and enforcement.

We may have to swing that hammer together.