Options

Interview waiting room

pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
What do you guys do while you're waiting to be seen for an interview, read any material that is close at hand, BBM...?
God deserves my best

Comments

• Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Personally, I go over my resume. Flip through my notes, etc. I try to look like I mean business- because I do!

Many companies judge you based on how you interact with the front desk, what you do while waiting, etc. You want to make sure you give off the impression like you are going to use your time wisely.

I will also take an interest in company posted newsletters, core values they may have up, etc. It shows an interest in the company as well :) This of course may not apply to every situation depending on where you are waiting.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Surf pron on my phone j/k I usually have print outs I study on basic security stuff so I don't mess up on something simple.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Last minute prepping about the company, the position, and the technology used in the position, and, primping myself (e.g. making sure hair still neat, tie straight, teeth clean, etc.)
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually have my notebook with me to write down observations about the company from the entrance to the waiting room. Depending on what you notice, it will give you some insight on what the company may expect from you or ask you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insights. Never thought about the whole final preparation bit about the company and any other pertinent stuff. Thanks
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Surf pron on my phone .

you are awesome
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Surf pron on my phone j/k I usually have print outs I study on basic security stuff so I don't mess up on something simple.

Same thing but on my iPad. The increased screen size is priceless. HAHA!
  • Options
    chicmagnet2k4chicmagnet2k4 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Be confident, most of the time, companies just want to see you have that never give up drive.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Browse Internets on phone. If I seriously want the job, I'll have already prepared for the interview all I can.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would talk to myself in my head to see how good I sound, and think of all possible questions I should ask the interviewers. You should know a little about the company before the interview.

Most important thing to check is... am I dressed right? Do I have spinach in my teeth? Should I spit out gum before my interview? Did I park in a valid parking spot so I don't have to freak out in the middle of my interview? :D
  • Options
    What happens in a situation where during the question and answer session they have answered all of the questions that you came up with what then?
    In my case I haven't brought up money as yet because they told me that this is round 2 of 3 of the interview process. But after all of the back and forth about what they do, what I expect etc.. etc.... I asked a meager 2 final questions and then it was wrap up.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    pizzaboy wrote: »
    What happens in a situation where during the question and answer session they have answered all of the questions that you came up with what then?
    In my case I haven't brought up money as yet because they told me that this is round 2 of 3 of the interview process. But after all of the back and forth about what they do, what I expect etc.. etc.... I asked a meager 2 final questions and then it was wrap up.

I usually say something along the lines of "Well you've pretty much answered most of my questions already"... and follow that up with a short comment on the answers, then try to come up with a couple more. Or try to get them to go into a little more detail on a question you had that they already answered. "We already talked about _____, could you tell me a little more about it?" etc.

2 questions is better than none, I wouldn't be too worried.

I actually haven't had a face to face interview in 5 years. I was hired over the phone for my current job. The people who interviewed me had no idea what I looked like until I showed up for work and finished my employee orientation.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I read some where that part of the interview is what you do before the interview. The person in reception might be taking notes.

Is the applicant talking on the phone?
    Was the applicant friendly (when arriving / leaving)?
    Did the applicant starting up conversation, or show people skills?
    How early did the applicant arrive?
  • Options
    Well my handler kept saying "My you're early",(this would have been my second time there, first time was for a technical test) which was weird because she said it the first time she saw me too. I was like 15 mins early on both occasions. The receptionist did speak to me a couple times nothing of note though, figured she was just trying to be friendly.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There's several articles out about this subject. If you go over your resume, notes, etc you should be fine. I did read where several larger companies have the receptionist make notes of how you acted prior to being called in (what did you do, what did you read, etc). One employer even had the receptionist watch to see what kind of car you drove. If it wasn't up to his specifications, sorry buddy no job here.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Heero wrote: »
    Browse Internets on phone. If I seriously want the job, I'll have already prepared for the interview all I can.
    all serious candidates do. But its not only technical and company knowledge that hiring managers look for. As others said here, how one conducts themselves prior to the interview can factor very important. I know first hand of a candidate, who had the best technical knowledge of the systems, was eliminated because he was seen playing games on his phone while waiting. Aced the tech questions, knew the company, its clients, and its products inside out. But it reflected poorly on his assumed professionalism when he was playing rather than at to least pretend to do something else.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Surf techexams.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration