CCNA Books

rubenhrubenh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am new here and I need some help from your side. I am interested in doing the CCNA on my own. I am going to buy the CCNA books from cisco press Customers and Markets > IRC - CCNA Curriculum.

Can someone give me a brief idea on how the exams are divided and which books i need to buy for the first part? and if there is something that I dont understand is there somewhere either from cisco or someone else who can guide me?

Thanks

Comments

• rob_crossleyrob_crossley Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Read the sticky's at the top of the page before posting.
    Study Hard! Learn Hard! Earn Hard!
    "If you stop learnin, you stop earnin!"
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You should peruse the Cisco Certification web page for all the background information on Cisco Certifications: IT Certification - Cisco - Cisco Systems

The link to the CCNA Page shows you the two options for the CCNA -- the single CCNA and the ICND1/ICND2 combo (where the ICND1 exam also earns you the CCENT). If you follow those links you'll wind up on The Cisco Learning Network site. Create your free login there (if you don't already have a Cisco CCO login) and you should be able to see the specific exam topics.

A bunch of here will usually suggest you use multiple sources and get the Wendell Odom CCNA Certification Library and Todd's Sybex book (the links are in the forum CCNA FAQ -- but Todd now has a 7th edition that covers the 640-802 "refresh").

Odom's CCNA Certification Library contains the set of his ICND1 and ICND2 books. This/These is/are THE BOOK(s) you definitely want to read. Whether you commit to the CCNA and buy the Odom Certification Library or buy the books individually (and cut your loses if you find you don't have the Cisco Networking gene) is your choice.

There are also the CBTNuggets and TrainSignal CBTs for "video people" which are very good. There should be demo videos on each of their web sites to help you choose which instructor you like the best (high-enery Jeremy for CBTNuggets or Chris Bryant for TrainSignal).

Chris Bryant also has his website and Ultimate Study Guides. The Ultimate Study Guides have gotten many people "over the hump" for the CCNA and earned him a cult like following. I think he still might offer packages that include remote rack time on real hardware.

Once you decide on your plan of study, you can always post questions about the CCNA topics you're studying here -- or answer other people's questions to show off you new found knowledge (and get feedback in case you haven't quite mastered a topic like you think you did).

I have an updated post near the end of the CCNA FAQ that has some updated links -- and links to some of the more recent "build a CCNA lab" threads. Alan also has a post in there with links to CCNA Labs and Lab Books people have created.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!