Options

Four stages of Expertise

Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
I found this article to be very interesting and relavant in many ways to what I personally have been dealing with. I'm sure others would feel the same so I decided to share my find.

Four stages of Expertise (in your mind)
Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Comments

• Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    This is such an insightful article! I am currently wallowing in stage 3, wondering how there could me so much still to learn about a subject that, 2 years ago, i thought I was king of (stage 2)
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I'm also in stage 3, I've been studying for my CCNP and working with a vendor's CCIE on redesigning and upgrading our network and he said that I was pretty sharp and was impressed by some of the things I had come up with. I took the complements to heart but I still find it hard to believe.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    valenvalen Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I fondly remember my days in stage 2 :)
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    stage 3 here, i think i want to stay here by the way. Not sure i want to be an expert at anything just yet lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I feel like I'm still in stage one. (At least, that's my attitude.) Maybe I'm closer to 4 than I realize, if people keep coming to me for advice? Either that, or I need to start billing ...
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hrm. I guess I was wrong. A guy that I hold to be an expert, just came to me for advice. Wow. I am humbled.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stage 3 here...
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...