Options

Landed an interview! one question tho

grayfox587grayfox587 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I landed a job interview next week, as I was talking with the guy he said "attire here is business casual, I mean people are wearing jeans here, so don't over do it". I have an awesome suit that I got, so now the question is, what do I wear lol. Business casual to me is black khakis, dress shirt and black shoes, but I fear that may be over doing it.

what would you wear if he told you that? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If someone told me that I'd probably go with slacks and tie, skip the jacket.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    grayfox587 wrote: »
    Well I landed a job interview next week, as I was talking with the guy he said "attire here is business casual, I mean people are wearing jeans here, so don't over do it". I have an awesome suit that I got, so now the question is, what do I wear lol. Business casual to me is black khakis, dress shirt and black shoes, but I fear that may be over doing it.

I've never did wrong showing up in an interview in a suit. Better to dress above the workplace standard then to be too casual. We may have geek jobs, but its still a corporate world out there.

I'd probably still wear a suit, but just not my $2200 Pal Zileri suit though lol.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Its funny because I just went to one and I didn't wear a suit mostly because I went on my lunch hour and no one gave me any flak about it. But i still apologized for not having one on either way. Always suit up if you can do it. You can never go wrong with a suit. If they give you flak, just tell them you wore it as a sign of respect. If they don't want to hire you because you showed up in a suit, its probably not a place worth working. Just think about their opinions on something that's way more important if they get upset that you wore a suit to an interview. The humanity!!!!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    QHalo wrote: »
    Its funny because I just went to one and I didn't wear a suit mostly because I went on my lunch hour and no one gave me any flak about it. But i still apologized for not having one on either way. Always suit up if you can do it. You can never go wrong with a suit. If they give you flak, just tell them you wore it as a sign of respect. If they don't want to hire you because you showed up in a suit, its probably not a place worth working. Just think about their opinions on something that's way more important if they get upset that you wore a suit to an interview. The humanity!!!!

+1

Suited it up when in doubt.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say khakis and a polo shirt tucked in. My current employers dress code is "business/casual". A full blown suit(with the jacket) really doesn't sound all that casual to me.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slacks and a plain button down shirt IMHO.
    You can't go wrong with black slacks and white shirt.
    Remember your belt should match your shoes, and your shirt buttons should line up with your fly.
    I would skip the tie.
    Clearly they want you to be comfortable enough to perform some serious mental acrobatics!
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I disagree with wearing a suit. The guy actually stated that people there wear jeans, and specifically said "Don't overdo it". I do believe in professional attire, however I think it's clear here what the manager expects. Showing up overdressed in this instance may portray a different image especially if you were told not to do it.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    DBrewer254DBrewer254 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. Business casual is slacks and a dress shirt. That is the dress code where I work, but we geeks get to wear jeans due to the nature of our work. Installing switches and such.
    2. Interviews are different. Wear business casual or up. If you want to wear a suit. Do it.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your opinions, I appreciate it. I think that I am going to wear a dress shirt and black pants.

I received an email to confirm our interview and heres what it said " Dress is business casual as we aren't to stringy on the dress code"

Wish I could wear a suit lol
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

Highlighting what the OP said, since many seemed to have overlooked or ignored it. Personally, if I told you to not overdo it......and you came in decked out, I might ding you for not paying attention to details.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    No one overlooked or ignored it. I still find it very hard to comprehend someone getting mad because you wore a suit or saying you didn't pay attention to details. Do what you feel is necessary but if I could help it I'd never go in anything less. I interviewed for the railroad and I was the only one that wore a suit and they even asked me about it during the interview why someone would wear white collar to a blue collar job. Sign of respect was my answer. I was one of three picked out of 50. /shrug
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    I wouldn't wear the suit if he specifically said "don't over do it". That is definitely over doing it.

Roll with the Black slacks and a polo tucked in or something.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    QHalo wrote: »
    No one overlooked or ignored it. I still find it very hard to comprehend someone getting mad because you wore a suit or saying you didn't pay attention to details. Do what you feel is necessary but if I could help it I'd never go in anything less. I interviewed for the railroad and I was the only one that wore a suit and they even asked me about it during the interview why someone would wear white collar to a blue collar job. Sign of respect was my answer. I was one of three picked out of 50. /shrug

I come from a military background, where attention to detail is obviously a way of life. You'll have to excuse me there. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Highlighting what the OP said, since many seemed to have overlooked or ignored it. Personally, if I told you to not overdo it......and you came in decked out, I might ding you for not paying attention to details.
    In every instance I've heard "don't overdo it", its meant not to be TOO casual, not to be too formal.

people on this forum are not that dumb lol
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say just follow your instinct.....it will never lead you astray
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I'd say its an interview... I wouldn't care if they wear jeans or shorts there; they're not the one getting interviewed. Over here it's just common sense. I've hardly been to any interview where all of my interviewers have had suits.
  • Options
    uhhh my heart sunk when they walked in and they were all wearing shirts and jeans, I was wayyyy over dressed = (
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    uhhh my heart sunk when they walked in and they were all wearing shirts and jeans, I was wayyyy over dressed = (

Other than that, how did it go?
  • Options
    Howling MonkeyHowling Monkey Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take a look at the employees you would be working with, then kick it up one notch.

What ever you wear, make sure its sharp and focus on the details. Don't forget about yourself. Nails are trimmed, and check for rouge hair(nose and ear).

Polish the metal and wax the leather.
    This is the end and the beginning
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Other than that, how did it go?

It went good in the aspect I answered all there questions fine, gave one of the guys tips for net+ but I just had this feeling. I felt it was so relaxed in the aspect of they were all older and I just have this feeling since they aren't really managed by anyone, they want to add another person their age to join them, if that make sense.

Hopefully I made the cut and I will land a second interview.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heh the most overdressed I've been was at an interview at Disney... on casual Friday... so it was a lot of flipflops and T-shirts, and me in a suit lol! I still got an offer though. ;)
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I remember interviewing for a job decked out in my company uniform. The interviewer had asked if he could move the interview up to lunch instead of after work because he wouldn't be available. I told him I wouldn't be dressed appropriately for the interview (I was planning to go home early, shower and dress up before the interview) but he said he didn't care what was on my body so much as what was in my head. So I went there and he took one look at my clothes, chuckled and commented that he now understood why I was hesitant at first. He was right though; that was one of the most intense interviews I'd ever had. He gave me scenario after scenario of how I would handle things and I answered as honestly as I could. I got a job offer the next morning, despite the clothes. Of course, my boss trumped the offer so I ended up staying. But they guy has emailed me a few times since asking if I was looking for a job.

Moral of the story is, the guy/gal(s) interviewing you are human and have their own biases. I'd say go with what makes you comfortable so if that means a suit then that means a suit. If it means a T-shirt and shorts, then rock it out. Bottom line is if you absolutely blow their socks off with your interview, then what you wear becomes immaterial. Of course, maybe there should be a thread started for these IT titans that are so awesome that they interviewed in a T and shorts and got the job. I'd definitely bowing.gif to that!
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    Just to inform everyone, I received an email today, and my next interview with them is on Monday. :)
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Just to inform everyone, I received an email today, and my next interview with them is on Monday. :)

Grats man! :D:D:D
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I received an email today, and my next interview with them is on Monday. :)
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

So -- what are you going to wear to this interview?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!