Options

Potentially looking to add IPADs on the network

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
An RFP has been submitted and it looks like we might get the green light to add two more resources to provide support and deployment of some IPads. I'm pretty stoked! Has anyone had the chance to join these to a Windows network?

If so what were the challenges?
Do you think this will bring value to the sales people and the other employees who travel a lot and are on the run?

I know when I travel I see all the consultants on their Ipads :)

Any input would be great!

Comments

• Options
    silverspotsilverspot Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know security is a big issue. If you are on exchange 2010, then you can quarantine the device until a systems admin can join it up. You can also remote wipe it in case it gets lost or stolen.
  • Options
    silverspot wrote: »
    I know security is a big issue. If you are on exchange 2010, then you can quarantine the device until a systems admin can join it up. You can also remote wipe it in case it gets lost or stolen.

Yeah the remote wipe like on a smart phone is a great option. I appreciate the other information as well.

BTW have you tried the web outlook for 2010? In some ways I like it better than the client.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We are facing the same thing. I'm not particularly thrilled about having to support devices that weren't built to work well with the rest of my environment.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Like the iPhone and other "smart devices", the iPad creates a number of information security challenges and data safeguard concerns. I would make sure to work with your information security department to ensure that the devices are introduced into the environment with the organizational security policies in mind. I would also take the opportunity to remind the end user of the acceptable use policies and refresh their security awareness training.

On another note I have seen successful deployments in a corporate environment that used an un-named management application along with Aruba Air Wave wireless managment software. The iPads were deployed with the VMware View client and a number of office applications (Doc, PDF, XLS readers) for use within the environment and all applications were subject to administrative approval before installation. Of course it's hard to tell your Management staff "Don't install Angry Birds" but users should be reminded that this is a Work Tool, not a personal toy (YMMV).

Good luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I have 2. Right now, the state only approves of them for use of email devices or thin clients. For email, all I had to do was punch in our Webmail/OWA address and then my email account info obviously. Really easy.

Side note, Blackberry recently announced that the BES will eventually support Apple and Android devices.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Found the iPad Enterprise Deployment Resources page on Apples site. I'd start there.

Apple - iPad - iPad in Business - Resources
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    An RFP has been submitted and it looks like we might get the green light to add two more resources to provide support and deployment of some IPads. I'm pretty stoked! Has anyone had the chance to join these to a Windows network?

Do you think this will bring value to the sales people and the other employees who travel a lot and are on the run?

Note: We don't have any iPads/iPhones where I'm at so this is just my opinion.

I'd start by looking over the material in the link I provided in my previous post. That way you can get an idea of how "locked down" you can get the device. Also work with your security staff so all of you can come together with a "common" configuration. I would think you would want to make sure you can:

1. Remote wipe the device if it was stolen.
    2. Disable the ability for users to install their own "apps" and music from iTunes.
    3. Create a standard profile for all "i" devices and be able to update remotely.

You need to make sure management buys in and will support the "this is a tool not a toy", so when the first user complains about not being able to install Angry Birds or download the latest episode of Glee, your back is covered.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    You need to make sure management buys in and will support the "this is a tool not a toy", so when the first user complains about not being able to install Angry Birds or download the latest episode of Glee, your back is covered.

Hiliarous but true.

Great awareness tid bits. And as always thank you.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Side note, Blackberry recently announced that the BES will eventually support Apple and Android devices.

That's interesting to say the least!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I work with a Managed Service Provider and a large amount of our customers have been purchasing iPads (just about all of them are an employee bringing in their own device). It truly is a headache dealing with iPads/iPhones/Android devices. While they are cool and interesting devices, most people can't seem to get it through their heads that it isn't a laptop replacement. We have customers who have a blackberry, iPhone, laptop, and iPad. They love to call and complain the minute something doesn't sync instantly. "I deleted an email in my Outlook, the blackberry and iPhone have it gone, but it's still on the iPad." We had a financial services company find out about the Citrix Receiver and want it loaded on their iPhones so they could look at files on the network. The receiver is buggy and when testing it on a mobile device (especially something the size of an iPhone) it is just about impossible to click on an item that you want correctly the first time. Plus, even Citrix isn't giving any official support of the Receiver just yet.

I think the biggest hurdle faced by support staff on these devices is the lack of remote viewing. If Outlook doesn't work on your laptop, I can remote in and fix it. Your iPad isn't syncing mail or your getting some sort of error, I have to walk you through attempting to fix it and I don't have a device I can use for comparison. So my suggestion is to do a lot of planning, testing, and information releasing about what the device is truly able to do. If you can get the time to allow members of the IT Department to use the devices and work out the bugs prior to deployment, do it. I know we cringe when we see a ticket for a mobile device of any kind because the person on the other end doesn't know a thing about it....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Hiliarous but true.

Great awareness tid bits. And as always thank you.

I thought of this later, but I believe the Apple Stores now have some sort of "business" service. It might be worth checking to see what they have to say (if you have a local Apple Store). Also you might want to see if you will need any Apple equipment to help manage the iPads (Mac Mini/Mac Pro possibly running OSX Server) or can you do it with your current setup/infrastructure.
  • Options
    OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□

I have done this and let me tell you citrix sucks on the ipad. I have had issues with citrix sessions hanging because the ipad don't really allow for citrix to run in the background while switching to other apps.

We were looking to replace our older pentops with ipads but when we put one out in clinic switching apps caused sessions to disconnect and be unable to reconnect, had to reset the session everytime.

We ended up going with HP 2740 Tablets and haven't looked back! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Overdash wrote: »
    I have done this and let me tell you citrix sucks on the ipad. I have had issues with citrix sessions hanging because the ipad don't really allow for citrix to run in the background while switching to other apps.

We were looking to replace our older pentops with ipads but when we put one out in clinic switching apps caused sessions to disconnect and be unable to reconnect, had to reset the session everytime.

We ended up going with HP 2740 Tablets and haven't looked back! icon_wink.gif

I recently saw Citrix on an iPad at an IT event just 2 months ago. It looked slick to me. In all honesty, it was for just a few minutes.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I've been working on this for a while now. They bought a handful of iPads before the end of last year, and now several iPad2's. Until last week, I didn't have either to mess with to make sure I could secure them, and they've been handing them out already. My CIO finally gave me his old original iPad since he now has an iPad2.

Look into something like McAfee's Enterprise Mobility Manager. It acts as sort of an ActiveSync proxy but gives you a LOT more control than what Exchange 2010 by itself gives you. It requires an agreement and small (like $300) payment to Apple before you can do anything with iOS devices, but seems to be well worth it. Very easy for the end user to setup, they just install the app from the app store, type in their e-mail address and password, and EMM takes care of the rest. It will provision e-mail, wireless, and VPN all at the same time.

One of the things I like the most about it is that it will let you selectively wipe the device. Exchange will wipe the entire device no matter what if you have to wipe it. We allow people to connect their personal devices (which I can't stand!), so it is a great feature. Now I can wipe just the business data and leave their personal data alone. It will also encrypt all business data on the phone, plus lets you control what apps they can or can't install. You can even block rooted devices from connecting, or block devices that don't meet a minimum specified OS level. Works on Android, Windows Mobile, and Symbian too!

There are other solutions with similar functionality, we just chose McAfee because we already run their anti-virus, an ePO server, and several other pieces of software made by them.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have also been informed that 20-30 ipad2 devices will need to be deployed within the next 3 months. I was looking into Zenprise. Has anyone used their products or something similar?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a few clients with iPads, most don't get that the iPad is not an enterprise device and like to complain about all the work arounds required to do something (dropbox, printing, unable to install company apps, to name a few). I never recommend the iPad for the work place.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Utter administrative and security nightmare at the edge of your network. Avoid at all costs.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    see if they are willing to use say ... a laptop
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    For surfing, email and document reading....the iPad's cost is a fraction of a laptop's. That's without throwing in the time spent supporting one or the software costs. And for many, that's all they need.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Has Apple released any security guidelines for iPads? I am used to doing audits on operating systems just not sure there was any decent information for performing a security scan on one.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Question:
    Where is the iPad STIG?
    Answer:
    The DISN Security Accreditation Working Group (DSAWG), which is the DoD approval body for STIGs, determined that iOS devices should not be deployed in the DoD at this time due to unmitigated iOS device security risks. Therefore the DSAWG directed the draft iPhone/iPad STIG be removed from the IASE web site.