Options

Learning Windows Server 2008

HofferHoffer Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Over the summer while I am off from school I am interested in learning to use Windows Server 2008 and play around with it at home. I have never used any server OS’s before and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of some good resources to learn how to use it whether it be books, or websites.

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Being an OS and not an application, you will go far just to play around and see what happens when you click on stuff. However, I guess any of the official cert books from Sybex, MSPress ,etc., will tell you about adding server roles, IIS, basic configs and so on. It will also tell you a whole bunch of stuff you won't care about too like different Server 08 versions and 'what's knew'.

Haven't gotten fully into the 2008 books yet but I found MSPress good for the 70-290 exam. If you're not doing certs, you will just need to pick through it for what you want to learn.

Remember, nothing beats just playing with the software. Doesn't matter how much you read, you never really know what will happen until you push that "Next" button.