Options

Printer driver install - Access Denied

nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just installed two workstations running windows 7. Both stations will give access denied when trying to install the printer. Printer is shared from a 2003 Server. I have read this has to do with an incompatible driver. Not sure about this, because I already have a win 7 machine using the same printer. Anyone ever experience this? How could I make another driver available for the same printer (as Ill need it for 7 and XP)?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just installed two workstations running windows 7. Both stations will give access denied when trying to install the printer. Printer is shared from a 2003 Server. I have read this has to do with an incompatible driver. Not sure about this, because I already have a win 7 machine using the same printer. Anyone ever experience this? How could I make another driver available for the same printer (as Ill need it for 7 and XP)?

What are the security settings on the printer? Print permission set to Everyone? What user account are you logged on with to the two problem workstations? Is this a domain environment, if it is are the two problem computers joined to the domain?

For additional drivers, you can do it via Server Properties in the Printers and Faxes window. Check towards the end of the page here.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    What are the security settings on the printer? Print permission set to Everyone? What user account are you logged on with to the two problem workstations? Is this a domain environment, if it is are the two problem computers joined to the domain?

For additional drivers, you can do it via Server Properties in the Printers and Faxes window. Check towards the end of the page here.

Printer Security is set to Everyone, full access. Tried Users group, Admin group users and local admin account. All systems are are the same Domain.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This might help. Check this out too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Try disabling point and print restrictions and the popups using group policy.

You will need to do this from your windows 7 machines using gpmc since its new to 7/vista. This will allow your 7 clients to install shared printer and the driver without permission errors or popups.

If you need help I can take a screenshot later for you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. Emailed a fellow tech the links and he replied back it was working with the only change being local GP. I wonder why this happened to these machines and not other win7 machines... Any ideas?
  • Options
    pctech33pctech33 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Properly install printer driver on Windows 7.

Check the compatibility of the printer driver for the efficient operation of the printer and you may be able to avoid the printer access denied error message.

You can install a printer using a printer CD which is built into your system.

Otherwise you can visit the manufacturers website and download the specific and proper driver files for the use of the printer.

get more help........ http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/7642-63-cannot-install-2170-printer-driver

Hope this helps you.