Options

How much Active Directory do you think this help desk expects me to know

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
In the job description for the help desk job that I start tomorrow, they had listed Active Directory experience. This position is entry level (tier 1 & 2). How much of Active directory do they expect us to know? I plan to get the MCTS:AD cert but didn't want to cram it. I know the basic things like creating users, adding to groups, modifying DACLs, resetting passwords. I plan to learn a lot about AD while working there. I'm sure there isn't a definite answer to this, I just wanted to know what I should expect.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Most help desks don't do file permissions or create accounts. In most cases you'll be unlocking account and resettings passwords. If you're lucky you'll do user/group creations and file permissions. Depends on how big the company is as big companies usually have separate account admins.
  • Options
    gbuc40gbuc40 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Probably the basics and you seem to know it. I would think they need to show you how they things, too. You should be fine.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Repo Man wrote: »
    Most help desks don't do file permissions or create accounts. In most cases you'll be unlocking account and resettings passwords. If you're lucky you'll do user/group creations and file permissions. Depends on how big the company is as big companies usually have separate account admins.

+1

When I worked for a help desk, we only had the ability the reset/unlock user accounts. Even file permissions were handled by a separate group.

Being familiar with all the tabs and knowing whats suppose to be where will always help. If you can dispatch tickets to the other groups with a detailed problem and where it's wrong (and how to fix it) you can get noticed quicker.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    So it sounds like I know what I should know to perform this task! The only other thing I'm worried about is MS Outlook. That was mentioned in the job description too. Again, I plan to learn wayyyy more than the basics of AD that I do know. I was contemplating cramming a bunch of the more "advanced" AD stuff but I decided that I'll just take my time and learn it properly especially if it wont be used on this particular job at this level.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Outlook is an application you should be able to pick up without a problem.

Most helpdesk have large knowledge bases with QA scenarios, take some time to learn as much as you can from them.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    But what will they think of me if I'm always having to consult the Knowledge Base? I was hoping they had one too. I start tomorrow and I'm only asking questions like this because I have never worked at a Help Desk before. This is my first I.T. job :) and I can't friggin' wait!
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    But what will they think of me if I'm always having to consult the Knowledge Base? I was hoping they had one too. I start tomorrow and I'm only asking questions like this because I have never worked at a Help Desk before. This is my first I.T. job :) and I can't friggin' wait!

You're overrating the average IT knowledge of a help desk agent. Everyone uses a knowledge base.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You're overrating the average IT knowledge of a help desk agent. Everyone uses a knowledge base.

Everyone at one time or another looks up information online/kb's.

As for AD knowledge, it just depends on the position. You may just be doing account unlocks/resets, or you could be creating new user accounts. It just depends on how the help desk role functions.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

Couldn't agree with this more. That's why they exist. Heck not a day goes by that I don't look something up on technet or a vendor's site because they've got info I don't know.

What you want to worry about, depending on the desk, is how fast you are. No one expects you to be balls to the wall the first month or two, but they'll want you to pick up the pace quickly. Most of them have metrics they cover that you'll need to meet and exceed if you want upward mobility.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.