Options

70-642 before the 640?

Can one take the 642 before the 640. Only reason I ask, is because I noticed the only book out for R2 is the 642 at the moment, and I wanted to see if I took that and studied, would it make a difference?
"This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

Comments

• Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes you can. I am taking the 642 before 640 myself. As far as the R2 material goes, get this book Amazon.com: MCTS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide (Exams 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643) (9780470948460): William Panek: Books . It ROCKS and has the updated R2 material for all 3 exams. There are others on here who have a review of the book so I wont do that because I totally agree with them. Also, search for Claymoore's Sticky on what to study and Earweed (I think) posted a great update to the R2 topics of skills measured. These coupled with Technet, and a boatload of labbing and I hope to have it passed soon myself.

Good luck icon_study.gif
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A lot of people go that route. It helps if you're already at least somewhat familiar with AD as that is mostly what the 70-640 teaches you. +1 on Breadfans advice also.
    Best of luck to both of you!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As far as I know the material doesn't overlap so taking one before the other is not important. Generally starting off though, you usually get some hands on with AD accounts and such, so I'd recommend starting with 70-640. But the R2 MS Press book is not out so not much of a choice really. Good Luck with it!
  • Options
    Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    thanks guys!
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also brush up on your subnetting skills for the 642, you'll need to know it. Learn IPv6 too. Good luck guys!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    Essendon wrote: »
    Also brush up on your subnetting skills for the 642, you'll need to know it. Learn IPv6 too. Good luck guys!

Thanks for the heads up on that. :)

• Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    I did an MCITP: SA boot camp and this was the order they did the exams in also - 642, 640 then 646.

It did help as I changed tracks from 2003 to 2008 and just finished the 293 exam as well as used 2008 at my job. So the 642 was fairly easy at the time and then the overlap to 640 was good.

Good luck in your studies.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    rudergerruderger Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm doing 70-642 first for that exact reason, the MS Press 2nd edition is out for this exam, thanks for the comments about "MCTS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide (Exams 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643)" looks good.