How much server interaction do you have in a(n) NOC.

southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I hope this is the right place for the question. I plan on getting my CCNA in the near future. I am curious about what someone who works in a NOC deals with on a daily basis. Is it all networking based within the cli or do server duties overlap? I guess I just want to know what I will be facing once I enter the job market. Should I be expected to have server experience along with my CCNA? Should I bust my butt to get my MCITP:SA, or just learn some basic functions that I may be asked to do server side? or. Just continue down the Cisco path (which I would rather do if possible). Thanks guys and gals.

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    CLI: I work with different devices day-to-day...Cisco, and devices that have a command line environment very similar to Cisco's IOS.

Server use: We use linux servers, solaris servers, and Windows servers. The tasks performed in all 3 are very repetitive.

Overall I'd say the most important thing is just that you know how things work...not just how to use them. If you know how they work you can always figure out the commands or correct GUI to use.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response. May I ask what those tasks are? Did you need to study over entire exam objectives in order to be able to carry them out? or. Were they topics you were able to pick up quickly. I'm just wondering how much focus outside of cisco should I expect in a typical NOC job?
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    All of the server stuff I do in the NOC is use vendor software that you can't study for and get certified in. The MCITP:SA would help you get a job in helpdesk, and later with experience a server admin job of some sort, but it really won't help you in a NOC.

Where I work if we need some sort of server stuff done we open up a ticket with our IT people in a datacenter, or help desk (depends on the task). It's ironic working in a NOC and putting in a ticket for the help desk.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It all depends on where you work. I know NOC guys that just monitor alerts and check whether links are up and down. Anything requiring skill gets escalated to the next level.

But the cool thing for kids who have these jobs is that they can use the slow days to study. Funny thing is that most of these guys are too busy fiddling with their IPhones every chance they get.

:)
  • southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks again for the great responses. I am glad to hear that you don't focus so much on server. I really don't want to deal with server if possible (just not my bag, baby.) I have a passion for networking and would like to focus primarily on it; that and linux. :D