Options

How long is your commute?

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've done commutes which was 1.5 hours in the morning (and 50 minutes at 8pm with no traffic). I've also done a nicer commute at 25 minutes door-to-door. I have co-workers who commute in apparently 2.5 hours each way. I can't imagine what that's like day after day.
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At my previous job I did about 2.5 hours per day total (mostly by commuter train so it wasn't unbearable), but I telecommute for my current job. I don't want a long commute so the next time I change jobs I'll probably have to relocate (telecommute jobs aren't that common, and I've seen very few IT jobs that interested me and paid well near where I currently live). I liked my previous job but relocation wasn't really financially viable at the time.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    sitting at around 5 minutes each way.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    all depends. Since I work second shift, usually 15 to 30 minutes, because I'm going the other way of the traffic flow ingress, and there's hardly any traffic on my egress

If I work "normal" hours.... 45 minutes on a good day. If there's an accident on the interstate, I've been known to show up around lunch time. 285/85 in Atlanta is some of the nastiest traffic in the country, and one of the primary reasons I choose to work an off shift.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a 2 hour commute in the morning in peak-freakin-hour and it gets topped off with an hour on the way back. About 80 km all up in rush hour, it's a nightmare on the M1 day-in and day-out. The stress of driving has actually made me lose about 5kg over the past year. Leaves me too exhausted to study in the evenings, thank God I dont have any kids yet. Cant imagine what it'd be like when the kids do come along...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used to commute 42 miles each way (1 hour+ each way) back in 2006-2008

Nowadays I am 5 miles from work.

Commute is between 10-20 minutes each way.

Half term when the kids are all off school I can go straight through the town to get to work and that is 9-11 minutes.

During school time, going through town can be between 15 and 30 minutes (there are FOUR schools between me and work) so I usually go on the motorway (freeway) and I can be in work in under 15 minutes.

However, finding another job in my town will be nigh on impossible, unless my Plan B comes to fruition... and I should be able to get to my office in under 5 seconds................. :D
  • Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's between 10 and 15 minutes. I work out of town so I am going against all the traffic. As I also do 12hr shifts, I also travel outside of the normal rush hour traffic.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    22 miles that can take anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour. All depends on the other fools on the road. I've left well ahead of my normal time and still be stuck in traffic.

With 103 degrees yesterday and some roads buckling, we stopped for dinner and waited on the traffic to die down. Less than 30 minutes on the ride home when we waited an extra 45 minutes.
  • Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    20 - 25 minutes at the moment. There are two bridges that join the two halves of the city (river in the middle), and one is down until September for renovation, so right now my 8km (5 miles) is taking an awfully long time.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just started a job on Monday that is 3.5 miles from my front door. This is the shortest commute I've ever had. My previous job was anywhere from 1.25-2 hours commute each way due to daily heavy traffic.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Currently: 1-15 minutes. The longest I've had to travel for a daily job is 15-30 minutes.

I'm currently looking at a position that is in the range of 15-30 minutes. I am currently evaluating the traffic patterns, to make sure the commute won't be over 30 minutes.

I feel that my job satisfaction would drop TREMENDOUSLY, if I had to commute 45+ minutes one way, just to get to work.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    My current job since I 1st started was 45 min in the morning. 1hr 15 on the way home. I currently had to move for the wife's job, so now its just coming downstairs. icon_cheers.gif
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    95 miles each way by car every day ... I am pretty much on first name basis with my local petrol station man ..

45-50k miles / year approx for commute only ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I work in DC and it is about 19miles drive. On the morning it takes me about 20-25 minutes. 1.5-2 hours to get home.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I'd say my commute is between 15 and 45 minutes depending on the day and the time at which I commute.

I live 11 miles from the office...

If I leave my house at 0725, I will pull in the office parking lot around 0759. If I leave the office at 1700, I will pull in my driveway around 1747

But, if I leave my house at 0700, I will pull in the office parking lot around 0717. And funny as it sounds, If I leave the office at 1730, I will pull in my driveway around 1750.

I guess most douche bags haven't left their houses at 0700 and are already home at 1730.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Bout 8 minutes depending on traffic. Traffic is usually light as well since I don't hit any main roads on the way in. Only thing that gives me any slowness is a school zone, let's hear it for summer doing away with that! icon_cheers.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The guys who live 1.5 hours or more - have you considered moving to be closer?! I'm entertaining the idea of a job 2 hours away, and no way would I commute. My job is more important (read: higher earning) than my girlfriend's, so she will move too and find something that end.
  • Options
    Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    I travel about 30 minutes to work each day, depending on traffic. I've driven longer to work than this. I dont mind it, I had Sirius Radio, so there is no annoying commericials, Just pure music the whole time... in the mornings I get to listen to Stern, so the longer the drive I don't mind, its all highway here in PA anyhow.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I've been driving around 40 minutes each way for the past year. I just took a job that will bump it up to about 1:15. It's worth it considering the experience I'll be getting, though. We don't have any plans of moving for now. I don't mind the long commute as long as I have something mentally stimulating to listen to. I get all 3 hours of the Dave Ramsey show on podcast, which is what I listen to most days.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just started interning recently, and I had no idea commuting can be a (insert the word here icon_lol.gif) sometimes. Since I am not yet comfortable driving without a GPS to work, I drove to work with it confirming that I would get there in 30 minutes. 15 minutes later, I learned that my drive has just turned into a 55 minutes drive.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    - Drive to train station: 2 minutes
    - 40 minute train.
    - Walk a mile to office
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    20 min cycle.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    all depends. Since I work second shift, usually 15 to 30 minutes, because I'm going the other way of the traffic flow ingress, and there's hardly any traffic on my egress

If I work "normal" hours.... 45 minutes on a good day. If there's an accident on the interstate, I've been known to show up around lunch time. 285/85 in Atlanta is some of the nastiest traffic in the country, and one of the primary reasons I choose to work an off shift.

285 can be a bear, d@mn rubberneckers get on my nerves when its an accident...icon_rolleyes.gif

Generally, takes me about 20-30 minutes to get to work both ways.....16 miles one way
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1 hour and 15 minutes both ways, with summer coming the morning will be better, but Friday afternoons will make me want to kill myself. My company moved, so I went from 20 minutes to 75...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    about 65 miles each day. I get on th freeway around 5 am so it's pretty empty...get to work around 30-40 mins. Drive home is hell...traffic horrible, average 1.5hr...
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Two 35-45 minute CTA rides in and out of the Loop. No biggie.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I just started a new job that's 50 miles each way. It takes me right at an hour each way, regardless of what time I leave my house or leave work in the evening.

This is up from a 20 miles / 30 minute commute at my last job.

After reading some of the other posts here, I don't think I can ever really complain...
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow am I the only telecommuter?!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what is the average distance you guys travel to work? I'm thinking about taking a job that I will have to travel 45 miles which is about an hour drive. This will be my 1st desk help position. So might have to man up. So i was just wondering what you guys are doing for miles and time spent going to work... thanks
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I think mine is about 40miles one way. Almost the same as you but I have a co-worker that I carpool. This saves me lots of money on gas.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    8.5 miles to work.