PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    higherho wrote: »
    8.5 miles to work.

MUST BE NICE. jealous
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    PPforLife wrote: »
    MUST BE NICE. jealous

O it is. I woke up my usual time this morning and then I told myself "10 more minutes" well that 10 minutes turned into 20 minutes left before I needed to get into work! Takes me 10 minutes to get into work (though if I got 5 over it takes me 8 ). Of course I worked OT the previous night so I could have came in 2 hours late.

Living close is nice but being on call 24/7 (I'm the only SA in charge of a decent size and pretty important department) kinda sucks.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    on average it's a 5 minute drive.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    rjirji Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My office is 92 miles away, which is about 1hr30min drive. After 2+ years of all that driving it does take it out of me icon_sad.gif.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    rji wrote: »
    My office is 92 miles away, which is about 1hr30min drive. After 2+ years of all that driving it does take it out of me icon_sad.gif.

I feel you. Mine is 80 miles/1 hour 15 minutes each way. The morning drive really doesn't bother me. It's the evening commute that seems to take an eternity because I'm ready to get home and relax. The experience I'm getting is worth it, though.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    I am about 20 minutes from work, takes about 25 minutes to get there each way
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    I'm starting a gig soon that's about 250 miles away. The total commute time is roughly 20 milliseconds. Hooray for telecommuting!
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    <8 miles, 15-25 minutes, across town, sometimes longer when the drawbridge is up..
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    z3pxz3px Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    4 miles. 10 minutes by car. 20 minutes by bike.
    It's a positive of living in a small town.
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I walk downstairs, so the commute is about 50 feet and it takes me 10-15 seconds depending on how awake I am. Thanks goodness for working from home.

I used to work 56 miles from home and the drive killed me. I've been working for 23 years and only the last 2 from home. I am sure working from home has added years to my life, since Atlanta traffic is absolutely brutal.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Used to be easily within walking distance, but ended up moving so that I'm about 3.5 miles away. Very easy drive in the morning.
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Varies based on if I drive to work or take lightrail.
    If I drive to work its about 15min or less.
    If I take lightrail which drops me off right in front of my office its about 30-45 depending on if I miss the lightrail.
    But since I work from home 4-5 days a week, its less than a minute to walk into my home office.

I usual take lightrail because the company pays for it and I'm a miser.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My commute is about 30 minutes in light traffic about 25 miles from home. Hate the commute because the interstate is messed up, both of my cars have stiff suspensions and can be a pretty rough ride. The travel time can vary greatly depending on what time I leave, what day it is, and which car I decide to take. Before my company moved here the commute was 5 miles away. The job before that was the worst though because it was 35 miles and usually took around 45-60 minutes due to traffic. I dream of the day I can walk or ride my bike to work.
  • Options
    MT0911MT0911 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man, some of you guys are VERY luck to have 1-15 min commutes. Mine is about 1 hour 15 min away which isn't bad at all but i believe soon the commute will change to a 60 mile commute one way (office move).
    CompTIA: A+, Network+, Security+
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNA: Wireless
    In Progress: CCNP
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    About 45 to 50 min by train.

My office is in the center of Central Tokyo, so I can't really afford to live close. Well... I could live close, but then I'd probably just have a 1 room studio that's smaller than my current bedroom, a bit further away the closest station and in an old decrepit building.

This apartment is only a 2 min walk from my train station and in a brand new building with plenty of room for me plus all my equipment.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    I make it from Desk to Bed and vice verse in 6 minutes flat! i time it all the time. i do have tickets to show for it too.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    15 minutes on an empty freeway.

30+ minutes any other time. icon_sad.gif
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Wow am I the only telecommuter?!

Nope. icon_cool.gif

Although I haven't started yet, but very soon, my commute will include a walk down the hall, then down some stairs, down another hall, and down another flight of stairs. icon_lol.gif

My longest commute was when I was fresh out of high school and only making about $9.25/hr. It was an hour 1 way. Gas back then was around $0.79/gal though, and I had a car that got 25-30mpg.

Commute that I am giving up to work at home was 30 minutes.

Shortest commute was 1.5 miles door to door. Took longer to get through security than it did to get to drive to work.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Working from home is the way forward. It's greener. But the UK government will never get behind it. They want us on the roads each day spending money on fuel. They get a lot of tax revenue from petrol sales...
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Turgon wrote: »
    Working from home is the way forward. It's greener. But the UK government will never get behind it. They want us on the roads each day spending money on fuel. They get a lot of tax revenue from petrol sales...

US seems to be getting behind it. Currently there are tax deductions available for it.
  • Options
    1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    I live 3.5 miles from work and always drive. Its roughly 15 minutes by car, 15 minutes by subway (both my home and work are a couple of blocks away from the same subway line), 20 minutes by bicycle, or under and hour of fast walking. It is in Brooklyn, NY.
    When I was driving to my previous work, it took me 1 hour and 1.5 hours back.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    About 15 minutes there, about 25 minutes back home.
  • Options
    LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1-15 Going
    30-40 Leaving
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    It depends. So far the new job has been split evenly between local work, traveling, and telecommuting:

Local work - 20-30 min drive in, 30-45 min drive home. Unless there is a wreck on the bridge, then I have been stuck for 2 hours.

Traveling - I mainly stay in the US South and Southeast, but I did have a couple of trips to Los Angeles last month. First trip, the departing flight was delayed 4 hours. Combined with a 5 hour flight, early arrival at the airport, and then a drive to the hotel, that meant my 'commute' was 12 hours. The second trip I took a red-eye flight back overnight. I saw the sun set at Venice Beach and narrowly missed the sun rise over the bay in Tampa. Those kinds of trips really mess with your body clock.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its aboot 35 minutes door-to-door if i catch the MTA bus & train right away.

I cant do the WFH thing too often for a number of reasons...i'm desktop support, so i need to be there to physically get to equipment alot, and WFH is distracting as hell. Plus, i like goin into work, cuz i can see all the lovely ladies on the train & in the streets & in my building....i'm just sayin...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    xxxooxxxxxxooxxx Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Takes me about 40 mins (walking and subway) to get to work. Parking is $20 a day so it is really not a option for me.

I love driving though, so I wouldn't mind a job where they have a company parking lot so I can drive to work. As long as it is under 1 hr.
  • Options
    MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work from home more often than not, but my job is only about 15 mins away. Pretty nice not to have to spend too much on gas.
  • Options
    bigmanfromoubigmanfromou Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My commute can take anywhere from 50 min to 2 hrs. 695 and 495 icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    ForFor Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    At the moment it's 20 mins max.

I'm currently dreading the time which will inevitably come where I will have to make the journey at rush hour in the London underground. A little of my soul will die every time I have to face it (the prices doesn't help) icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    BoneSpurBoneSpur Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My commute is 2 hrs one way. Right at 100 miles. Back roads slow me down. I work 4 10 hour shifts. So I am gone 14 hours a day. It sucks and now I'm starting to have car trouble. Trying to find job closer to home is a b!@#$.
    All the effort in the world won't matter if you're not inspired. - Chuck Palahniuk