Options

How long is your commute?

124»

Comments

• Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I travel 14 miles one way and my average commute time is 20-60 minutes depending on time of day and traffic.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My Place of employment is one mile away. It takes less than 5 minutes depending on the traffic lights.
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It usually takes me 15-30 mins each way going to work and leaving work. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    30 minutes or 25 miles. Switching jobs and it will be 40 minutes or 40 miles.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    About 10 minutes each way. About 3 months ago, it was anywhere from 30-1.5 hours each way.

The commute can definitely impact your QOL, IMHO.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, werent you in the US? Or is your location actually Melbourne, FL?

I'm from Toronto but I have worked in the U.S years ago. I'm in Melbourne Australia now. Everything in Aus is centred around the city centres so if you live in the city you're 10 minutes from most of the major employers. In toronto I was 20 min drive from work. In N.Y i was 15 mins on the train but I lived in manhatten so everything was close.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I drive from one corner of my county to the other each day for a 60-mile round-trip. I can actually make the drive in as few as 35 minutes assuming no traffic a bit fast speed than posted icon_wink.gif On a bad day, my drive can be 45-60 minutes. My biggest issue is the 1/2 - 1 mile walk to and from my car as the parking is a nightmare.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    geek12geek12 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    About 10 minutes there, about 15 minutes back home.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Now I'm traveling about 40 miles one way, luckily it's a straight shot down the expressway so depending on accidents and weather I'm looking at 45 -50 minute commute.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    apexgtp wrote: »
    I just accepted a job but its 1.5 hours EACH way. We will move eventually when my wife can get a job out there. But for now... 3 hours a day driving!
    Can you find a place to live somewhere in between? If not, hopefully your wife can find a conveniently located job. Driving that much every day is mentally and physically taxing.

Consider public transportation, if available. It can be more relaxing that driving and you can be more productive (studying, reading, etc.). My last job was about 2.5 hours round trip but most of that was on trains so it wasn't so bad. However, the days when I missed the train and had to drive (2 to 3 hours round trip) were usually miserable.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV