Options

Resignation while a contractor

techtimetechtime Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently working on site as a 5 person help desk at a medium sized client. I work for a company that places us on site 5 days a week for the last year so to say the least I have grown some relationships in the time I have been here. I know how to resign to my boss. Simple email does the trick, but what about my manager here and coworkers that work for the client. How did you handle this in the past?

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, you actually only "resign" from the boss. If you've got a rapport with the people you work with, exchange contact information and keep the connections alive.

You don't "owe" them anything, if that's what you are wondering.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I plan on calling the lead, and the manager, when that day comes. I've not seen my "manager" since I've been hired on. It won't be difficult at all.

I mean, come on, we're contractors. We're "supposed" to be short-term workers!

Also, why feel guilty about leaving, if the company would replace you with someone less expensive if they could?

At will employment is a two-way street.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    I'd send in that email as you said... Once its OFFICIAL, I'd quietly say goodbye to those I really enjoyed working with, and grab my stuff and head out the door. Like what was already said, you are a contract worker, your contract can be up anyday and you can be sent home faster then you can blink.

Keep contact with people via facebook or Linkedin.

I find when I am at a job more than likely facebook comes up, because of someone talking about something they did, and I get "friended".

Far as telling people anything, you don't have to say anything. Its best to just say good bye and leave it at that.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    That day has come for me. :D.

Tried calling the lead twice today, three hours apart.

Third attempt, just sent an e-mail.

If I get no response by tomorrow morning, I go up to the manager above him.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)