Options

Improve your memory, maybe.

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
About four years ago I watch a documentary on the Brain and how it functions during the day and night. One of the things it mention was that between the neurons are a small gap called a synapse when you thing of something the electrical signal pass through these but if you are a smoker these gaps become bigger and effort your memory. Possible solutions were to stop smoking and take cod liver tablets.

Have a read... it may help.

One of the essential fatty acids found in omega-3 fatty acids are known for their DHA, the very fat too is present in our brain, in fact, represents approximately one quarter of the tissues in the brain. DHA in the brain that acts as a membrane around the cells fat brain when neurons are cells pass through the fat.

We obtain our initial offering of DHA fat from our mother when in utero but after that the body creates more of the same, and this of course means we have to pass through the food we eat. If you do not eat enough food containing DHA fats present, then it is a kick in the brain, the body replacing it with another type of fat called LPD, and this is just the beginning memory problems.

The reason fat DPA cause memory problems because it is the most rigid of fat compared DHA. What this means is that when trying to pass neurons of a cell to fight to get through the membrane with equal facility, causing a communication breakdown in brain cells. And not only this can affect memory, lack of fat in the brain DHA can also lead to poor concentration, depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia and a host of other mental health problems.

The reason you want to use fish oil supplements to improve memory, rather eating fish in order to maintain adequate levels of DHA fat ideally need to consume Omega 3 1000 mg per day. If you where to eat fish, then this would mean the impact of eating fish every day, which for most people is not practical because a) it would become a costly system and boring, and b) would mean levels much higher in contaminants like mercury and PCBs that are often in this type of fish. However, using an additional especially one that has been a cleansing process called molecular distillation and then eliminate these problems.

Additionally, as well as using fish oil supplements to improve memory you would in fact be boosting your health in other areas as well, including reducing the likelihood of inflammation problems and also reducing the risk of cardiovascular problems. To find out more about this and also what to look for in a good quality fish oil supplement please make sure you get my free five-part guide which explains it all the more detail.

Does cod liver oil improve memory?Does cod liver oil improve memory?

Other studies have shown that the elongated omega-3 fatty acids in cod liver oil improve brain function, stress response, allergies, memory and learning and many behavioural disorders. It is counselled in everything from digestive troubles to sleeping problems. Yet it has had the odd piece of bad publicity of its own.

Cod Liver Oil: The Biography Of The Remedy That Changed The World - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lon21 wrote: »
    About four years ago I watch a documentary on the Brain and how it functions during the day and night. One of the things it mention was that between the neurons are a small gap called a synapse when you thing of something the electrical signal pass through these but if you are a smoker these gaps become bigger and effort your memory. Possible solutions were to stop smoking and take cod liver tablets.

Have a read... it may help.

One of the essential fatty acids found in omega-3 fatty acids are known for their DHA, the very fat too is present in our brain, in fact, represents approximately one quarter of the tissues in the brain. DHA in the brain that acts as a membrane around the cells fat brain when neurons are cells pass through the fat.

We obtain our initial offering of DHA fat from our mother when in utero but after that the body creates more of the same, and this of course means we have to pass through the food we eat. If you do not eat enough food containing DHA fats present, then it is a kick in the brain, the body replacing it with another type of fat called LPD, and this is just the beginning memory problems.

The reason fat DPA cause memory problems because it is the most rigid of fat compared DHA. What this means is that when trying to pass neurons of a cell to fight to get through the membrane with equal facility, causing a communication breakdown in brain cells. And not only this can affect memory, lack of fat in the brain DHA can also lead to poor concentration, depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia and a host of other mental health problems.

The reason you want to use fish oil supplements to improve memory, rather eating fish in order to maintain adequate levels of DHA fat ideally need to consume Omega 3 1000 mg per day. If you where to eat fish, then this would mean the impact of eating fish every day, which for most people is not practical because a) it would become a costly system and boring, and b) would mean levels much higher in contaminants like mercury and PCBs that are often in this type of fish. However, using an additional especially one that has been a cleansing process called molecular distillation and then eliminate these problems.

Additionally, as well as using fish oil supplements to improve memory you would in fact be boosting your health in other areas as well, including reducing the likelihood of inflammation problems and also reducing the risk of cardiovascular problems. To find out more about this and also what to look for in a good quality fish oil supplement please make sure you get my free five-part guide which explains it all the more detail.

Other studies have shown that the elongated omega-3 fatty acids in cod liver oil improve brain function, stress response, allergies, memory and learning and many behavioural disorders. It is counselled in everything from digestive troubles to sleeping problems. Yet it has had the odd piece of bad publicity of its own.

Cod Liver Oil: The Biography Of The Remedy That Changed The World - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

I went to a memory store in Rosedale Mall in Roseville, MN. It’s interesting to check out if you ever at the Rosedale mall. The Rosedale location and other locations in other states is listed on web page link posted below.

Marbles: The Brain Store - Store Locations Marbles - The Brain Store
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Apples and Almonds also have memory enhancing effects. I'm a big fan of apple juice, so this is good.

I've considered taking these supplements before, maybe I should go buy a bottle?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Apples and Almonds also have memory enhancing effects. I'm a big fan of apple juice, so this is good.

I've considered taking these supplements before, maybe I should go buy a bottle?
    I love Apple juice. I am currently have a glass right now.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    thehourman wrote: »
    I love Apple juice. I am currently have a glass right now.

Good. Probably it doesn't help with language.... only helps memory. icon_confused.gif: icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I once tried a ginkgo biloba supplement to improve memory. It was doomed for failure because I couldn't remember to take the pills.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    certhelp wrote: »
    Good. Probably it doesn't help with language.... only helps memory. icon_confused.gif: icon_smile.gif
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I once tried a ginkgo biloba supplement to improve memory. It was doomed for failure because I couldn't remember to take the pills.

You guys... icon_lol.gif

TE community has a great sense of humour icon_thumright.gif
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    You guys... icon_lol.gif

TE community has a great sense of humour icon_thumright.gif

I wish, I'm actually serious. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Saturated fats are good for you. Butter, lard, animal fat from animals well reared and not fed on soya or corn. Forget the cholestoral nonsense. Saturated fats are essential for the cells and the brain. The food companies take your money and your health by promoting mass produced oils such as vegatable oil and **** seed oil = transfats. It is cheap to produce and it's in all your foods. Since the end of world war two people have been getting bigger and less healthy as the good stuff we used to eat was marketed as bad for you, and the bad stuff we now eat was marketed as healthy. The food companies get richer. The health problems mushroom. Transfats = modern diseases.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    The food companies get richer. The health problems mushroom. Transfats = modern diseases.

Very similar with the whole sugar vs Corn Syrup thing. Pop used to be all sugar until they decided it was cheaper, and some study said healthier, to use corn syrup. Well corn syrup isn't any better for you and now there are studies showing that it is actually worse.

Lon, you should be a salesman. Last night I walked in the grocery store to pick up a couple things. Grabbed an ad at the front and was flipping through it. $1 off Natures Bounty products. I took this as a sign so I stopped by to check out the products. I bought 120 softgels for $8 minus the coupon.

I took one last night and notice no difference. WTF? Jk. Anyway, they are quite large. 1200mg makes these even bigger than my vitamins which was a little surprising. I'll probably just take them with my daily vitamin and see what happens. Today I read the directions, and I'm also quite surprise to find that they want you to take 3 of these a day. I don't think I have the discipline to take a pill 3 times a day anyway.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Thanks, my cod liver stock jumped 5 points from this post!

In other news, if you want to improve your memory, do it the old fashioned way: refresh it with reminders.

Check out the concept behind "mnemosyne" it makes sense.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only thing which definitely improves memory is repetition and practice, a bunch of pills ain't gonna do nothing for you. Having a proper diet and practice and repeat what you want to learn is the sure fire way to improve your memory.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Original quote:
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    The only thing which definitely improves memory is repetition and practice, a bunch of pills ain't gonna do nothing for you. Having a proper diet and practice and repeat what you want to learn is the sure fire way to improve your memory.

My misquotes:
    ... repetition and practice ... ain't gonna do nothing for you.
    The only thing which definitely improves memory is ... a bunch of pills .... Having a proper diet ... is the sure fire way to improve your memory.

Salespitch: I agree, take a bunch of my instantmem 10,000 mg pills, and everything is all good! Order online now, at instantmem.com! You'll never worry about forgetting, once you take instant memory. 100% safe, and approved by the FDA for sale as a novelty item. If you want to remember what you just read, just pop an instantmem.

Also, for those days that you want to forget, we sell instantfor. Ask about it at your nutrition store, or find it at your gas station checkouts, right next to 5 hour energy.

All products are 100% safe, and approved and certified by FDA to provide no adverse effects.

Active ingredient: glucose

Copyright 2011, Instantmem, Incorporated
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My recommendation, and I know many will frown, is sardines. Considered safe in regards to mercury, and high in omega 3's. After two weeks you will notice a difference as there is a build up period. I also find it improves my general well being.

They're disgusting to get down though. I find the ones in tomato sauce are easiest. Then I brush my teeth usually afterwards to get the taste out.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    how about plain old repetition? i heard that works wonders for your memory icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to have some good memory techniques but unfortunately can't recall any of them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    This would be my office is I wrote out all the reminders I have set on my phone.

postitnote01.jpg

My short term memory is horrible, but that might just be my ADHD acting up.

I don't know if I have ADHD...

--!!SQUIRREL!!--

...but I think I do.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    LOL. this thread reminds me of... err.

I took this course. It was interesting with really bad voice acting. The theories they put forth for memory enhancement I thought were sound. Essentially saying that you can access subconscious memories via conscious memories by associating things with the subconscious memory (e.g., meeting someone named George and picturing George Washington to remember the their name or "F2 (kb key), P3 (CPU), S4 (Audi car model)" to recall frames layer 2, packets layer 3, and segments layer 4). Then peg lists, ABC lists, mental imagery, etc. I guess the technique is taught by Vera Birkenbihl, who is a big language tearcher and taught C programming back in the day.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    On a food note- I love all the bad press the atkins diet receives.

Followed properly, and to the end (i.e. get the book and understand that it isn't purely a meat fest for the first few weeks) and I am sure everyone will agree you will be eating more healthily than any other diet. Except Atkins isn't just a diet, it's a complete and total lifestyle chance away from all the sh1t that we eat.

Once you have followed the lifestyle through to the fourth stage, you are eating whole hosts of healthy and naturally produced food.

Oh, and you will have lost a load of lbs too! Oh, and be healthier!
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I picked up some strawberry flavored Omega3 capsules from VitaCost. So much better than the unflavored kind. No more fishy aftertaste or "fish burps". I now take them twice a day.

Just a side-note, you are better off with an apple than the apple juice. Once all the fiber and majority of nutrients have been stripped away, you are pretty much just left with sugar and water. Without the fiber of the actual fruit, this causes insulin spikes in the blood stream, the same as any other sugary drink... icon_study.gif
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Just a side-note, you are better off with an apple than the apple juice. Once all the fiber and majority of nutrients have been stripped away, you are pretty much just left with sugar and water. Without the fiber of the actual fruit, this causes insulin spikes in the blood stream, the same as any other sugary drink... icon_study.gif

This is true, but it is still better than drinking cans of pop (normal or diet) by the case like a lot of people do. For a long time I had apple juice every daym and then with my new job and a different lifestyle I mostly stopped drinking it. I felt more fatigued and tired. (This same feeling intensified when I stopped exercising reguarly). I started exercising again a couple months ago and I'm drinking apple juice every day. In both stages I noticed a difference in my concentration abilities and tiredness.

I'm not saying that it works for everyone or telling you to go do it, but it works for me so I'll keep it up.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I think Coffee takes the cake. A recent Harvard study showed drinking 3 or more cups a day can be a very powerful tool again cancer and other such aliments.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I take many supplements daily, and I have noticed an overall improvement in my memory, cognition, and alertness. Here is what I take, in total, daily:

1/2 x Claritan (for allergies, reducing this in favor of Vitamin C)
    1 x Mega Red (Omega-3 from Krill, one small capsule with 3g, and no fishy taste)
    4 x CLA (4g of that... found naturally in grass-fed beef, good for metabolism)
    1 x Zinc (immune system)
    1 x Choline (brain and liver)
    1 x GABA (brain)
    12 x Vitamin C (immune system, allergies, gums.... 6g)
    1 x super antioxidant blend (fights da cancer)
    1 x Calcium Citrate + Vitamin D (bones and teeth, half of normal dose)
    3 x Magnesium, Calcium, Zinc (supports restful sleep, take 30 minutes before bed)
    1 x Vitamin B Complex (energy and metabolism)

I also prescribe to eating 30g of protein within 30 minutes of awaking. I eat this as a serving of greek yogurt and a Jimmy Dean's D-lights breakfast sandwich (turkey sausage, egg white, cheese, and croissant). Later in the morning I drink a Boost with more protein. Costs me about $4/day for breakfast, which is less than I would spend if I didn't do it, as I would grab breakfast on the way to work.

The fat in the brain really works to insulate nerve cells, as their activity is all electrical. If they are not insulated well, you will have short circuits occur.

Sleep is very important as well... it offers your brain the ability to "defragment". Actually, some research suggests that sleep is more important than diet when it comes to short-term health and performance.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Coffee and cigs have always seemed to work for me hehe...

Seriously though the best thing for my memory is exercise. Doing weights/cardio always clears the mind for me and pretty often gives me the eureka! moment when I've been stuck on a troubleshooting problem
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You dont need supplements and pills. Do some research and find local foods that have been produced naturally. Gluten free wheat. Foods without non saturated fats and additives. Cook meals.