Options

Fork In The Database Admin. Road

tony spongetony sponge Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I'm new the IT field and to this amazing forum. Standing O to whoever came up with the idea for this site. I started this thread to add perspective. I've decided on the A+ and Net+ certs. I began this journey with the goal of getting the Oracle DBA. After a some research I have learned that a 4 year degree goes hand in hand with that Oracle cert, when it comes to the requirements of potential employers. And that is not currently part of the plan.

The inquiry of this thread is as follows:

1. Is that true to the members of this forum ?
2. Can the same be said for the MCITP ? (my 2nd choice)
3. Does anyone know of any quality training for either of these certs for under three grand ?

As my handle implies, any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
  • Options
    jdchildersjdchilders Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. I would say it COULD go hand in hand with a 4 year degree, but does not NEED to. My 4 year university was a B&M university, and indeed it went hand in hand with our MIS degree, after two classes(maybe other supporting ones, but two specific DBA classes), you were more then able to sit for the Oracle DBA. That being said I dont think its ABSOLUTELY necessary.

2. Unfortunately, no input on the MCITP...

3. As stated above. Look into WGU. Semesters are 6mo long and include a WIDE variety of certifications, that are included (both resources and test voucher)- you cant really go wrong if a traditional B&M is not for you.
  • Options
    jdchilders wrote: »
    1. I would say it COULD go hand in hand with a 4 year degree, but does not NEED to. My 4 year university was a B&M university, and indeed it went hand in hand with our MIS degree, after two classes(maybe other supporting ones, but two specific DBA classes), you were more then able to sit for the Oracle DBA. That being said I dont think its ABSOLUTELY necessary.

2. Unfortunately, no input on the MCITP...

3. As stated above. Look into WGU. Semesters are 6mo long and include a WIDE variety of certifications, that are included (both resources and test voucher)- you cant really go wrong if a traditional B&M is not for you.

Thanks so much ... This will factor into my final decision.
  • Options
    nhan.ng wrote: »

i'll definitely look into this, thanks