Setting up a virtual network with PT

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've now got packet tracer and although i'm only on chapter 3 of Wendell Odom's book, i would like to have a bit of play with PT
All i've done so far is open up PT, put a switch in the middle and then connect up 3 PCs using straight cables. After a few seconds a green light appeared on either ends of the cable, although the PCs don't have an IP address.
At first i attached a console cable from the switch to the PC in the hope i could use that virtual pc to control the switch but it didn't work so i deleted the console cable.

I've managed to work out how to get into user mode,privilege mode and config terminal mode by using commands on the switch. I know how to change the name of switch hostname and also assigned an IP address of 192.168.0.1/24 to the switch's virtual port(internal vlan1)

After that i don't know what to do. icon_confused.gif:
any pointers? or tips on excercises i can use to get used to it?
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    MrXpert wrote: »
    I've now got packet tracer and although i'm only on chapter 3 of Wendell Odom's book, i would like to have a bit of play with PT
    All i've done so far is open up PT, put a switch in the middle and then connect up 3 PCs using straight cables. After a few seconds a green light appeared on either ends of the cable, although the PCs don't have an IP address.
    At first i attached a console cable from the switch to the PC in the hope i could use that virtual pc to control the switch but it didn't work so i deleted the console cable.

I've managed to work out how to get into user mode,privilege mode and config terminal mode by using commands on the switch. I know how to change the name of switch hostname and also assigned an IP address of 192.168.0.1/24 to the switch's virtual port(internal vlan1)

After that i don't know what to do. icon_confused.gif:
    any pointers? or tips on excercises i can use to get used to it?

I have never used Packet Tracer; however, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to create VLANs, you will need to throw in a router, and perform routing on a stick or you can input layer 3 switches and modify the routing table on the switch. It really depends on what you want to do.

Let us know if you need any help with coming up with exercies. You might want to play around with three switches and give a try at STP.

Cheers
    Utini!
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm only aiming to do ccent icnd1 for now so i'm starting from the ground up.

If I want to implement a switch, router and 3 pcs connected to the switch. With the router giving it access to the internet or to another network. How can that be achieved with Packet tracer?
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm only aiming to do ccent icnd1 for now so i'm starting from the ground up.

If I want to implement a switch, router and 3 pcs connected to the switch. With the router giving it access to the internet or to another network. How can that be achieved with Packet tracer?

I am not sure what you are attempting to do, but since you're doing the ICND1, it's best if you keep your lab as simple as possible according to your study.

If you are studying how LAN switching works, then you should set up a straight-line topology with at least 5 switches connecting in a chain format. You may have to add 2 hosts on SW1, 1 on SW2, none on SW3, 1 on SW4, and 3 on SW5. You only need to understand how ARP works and understand the difference between broadcast domain and collision domain. You need to be able to predict what entry will be made in the Source Address Table (SAT) or some would prefer to call it MAC address table. You need to know which interfaces the frame transverses through to get to its destination.

If you are studying on how routing works then you may want to set up a triangular topology of routers connecting to each other and at least an additional router connecting to one of the three routers for the purpose of understanding default route concept. You only need to know RIP and RIPv2 since the advanced routing protocols are saved for ICND2. First, practice configuring static routes on all routers before using RIP.

Lastly, you need to have a good understanding of basic security and telnet. You should not forget to set up the default gateway on the switches, which is one of the requirements to enable telnetting.

If you are asking how to set up the switches, routers, and hosts steps by steps in PT, then good luck on that. It's not that it's very difficult to do. It's just that once you are in IT games, you need to step up and play around with hardwares/softwares (whether is it virtual or not) for hours and hours until you figure it out. That's truly the best way to learn so that you can claim yourself to be Mr. Expert. Otherwise, you would put your own SN to shame. :D You should follow your study materials to help you get through this stuff. I'm just stressing what you need to focus on in ICND1, so that you're not doing stuff you're suppose to save later when you start the ICND2.
  • jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    e24ohm wrote: »
    I have never used Packet Tracer; however, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to create VLANs, you will need to throw in a router, and perform routing on a stick or you can input layer 3 switches and modify the routing table on the switch. It really depends on what you want to do.

Let us know if you need any help with coming up with exercies. You might want to play around with three switches and give a try at STP.

Cheers

Actually, you don't need a router to create VLANs. You need a router if you want to do inter-VLAN routing if you want one VLAN to be able to communicate with another VLAN. He wouldn't need to worry about VLANs right now though since that's an ICND2 topic.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not sure what you are attempting to do, but since you're doing the ICND1, it's best if you keep your lab as simple as possible according to your study.

If you are studying how LAN switching works, then you should set up a straight-line topology with at least 5 switches connecting in a chain format. You may have to add 2 hosts on SW1, 1 on SW2, none on SW3, 1 on SW4, and 3 on SW5. You only need to understand how ARP works and understand the difference between broadcast domain and collision domain. You need to be able to predict what entry will be made in the Source Address Table (SAT) or some would prefer to call it MAC address table. You need to know which interfaces the frame transverses through to get to its destination.

If you are studying on how routing works then you may want to set up a triangular topology of routers connecting to each other and at least an additional router connecting to one of the three routers for the purpose of understanding default route concept. You only need to know RIP and RIPv2 since the advanced routing protocols are saved for ICND2. First, practice configuring static routes on all routers before using RIP.

Lastly, you need to have a good understanding of basic security and telnet. You should not forget to set up the default gateway on the switches, which is one of the requirements to enable telnetting.

If you are asking how to set up the switches, routers, and hosts steps by steps in PT, then good luck on that. It's not that it's very difficult to do. It's just that once you are in IT games, you need to step up and play around with hardwares/softwares (whether is it virtual or not) for hours and hours until you figure it out. That's truly the best way to learn so that you can claim yourself to be Mr. Expert. Otherwise, you would put your own SN to shame. :D You should follow your study materials to help you get through this stuff. I'm just stressing what you need to focus on in ICND1, so that you're not doing stuff you're suppose to save later when you start the ICND2.

thanks for your advice, but I never claimed to be an expert. I'm far from that but as I mentioned earlier here, it was related to ATI Expert at work gpu.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/66813-ive-decided-do-ccent-any-advice.html#post533698
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    thanks for your advice, but I never claimed to be an expert. I'm far from that but as I mentioned earlier here, it was related to ATI Expert at work gpu.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/66813-ive-decided-do-ccent-any-advice.html#post533698

Oh I see! Sorry about that. Well, to be honest with you, I don't follow many threads daily. I never check the CompTIA, Microsoft, Juniper, and other couple of threads. I can assure you I am not the only one that doesn't know the meaning behind your SN since you are new or a returning user here. It will take a while before we figure you are not an expert yet. Glad you're finding my advice useful.