CompTIA advanced security practioner

jbm45jbm45 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just want to know if anyone else has heard about this new cert that is due out this fall from CompTIA. It is supposed to be a cert between security+ and the CISSP. Just wanted to get some opinions on what others think about this new cert and if it will have any value in the security industry.

Thanks.

Comments

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jbm45 wrote: »
    I just want to know if anyone else has heard about this new cert that is due out this fall from CompTIA. It is supposed to be a cert between security+ and the CISSP. Just wanted to get some opinions on what others think about this new cert and if it will have any value in the security industry.

Thanks.
    Just do a quick search, there were a few very active discussions about this cert only recently and they should address your questions.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jbm45 wrote: »

Thanks.

Soooooo.... I've taken the CASP and the CISSP and have yet to hear back on either on them, take this with a grain of salt icon_razz.gif

I think the CASP is a much more technical exam and also more applicable to assessing the technical abilities of a person. If your goal is to be a rocking sys-admin: I think the CASP is a good place to start. If your goal is to be a manager then a CISSP is more your speed.

The 'value' of any cert is very subjective. If you learned a whole bunch in the study process then the cert was valuable to your knowledge. If you get a cert and your boss gives you a 10% raise then it was valuable to your wallet. *shrugs* at the moment the CASP isn't even available yet and most folks haven't really heard of it so the CISSP will win for now. How that will change after the CASP has been around for a year, nobody really knows.

Best of luck.