Options

Penn State vs WGU

ohhsheetohhsheet Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone here have any experience with Penn State's online world campus? I'm interested in those who have taken technical courses or have obtained a technical degree through their schoolhouse? and for those that may have attended both Penn and WGU, how would you compare the two?

Edit: Someone brought this to my attention, so to be clear, I'm referring to Penn State.

Comments

• Options
    MikeinPAMikeinPA Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, those are two very different schools. If you can afford Penn State, then I would go there. I'm a WGU alumni and current student so I love the school and have a lot of great things to say about it, but having Penn State on your resume is a big thing.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome to the forum. As MikeinPA mentioned they are two different animals. Penn State vs. WGU is like a Maserati Gran Turismo vs. a Mitsubishi EVO. Both great cars, but definitely not in the same category.
  • Options
    I'm still on the fence. Both schools' online programs have a lot of Pros and a few Cons. I don't want to be that guy who gets shafted because I overpaid for my education again (still paying for it every month).
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ohhsheet wrote: »
    for those that may have attended both Penn and WGU, how would you compare the two?

Also, be careful with shortened names: Penn = University of Pennsylvania, which is an Ivy League University, versus Penn State. A common mistake. By the way, Penn State is a great school too.......icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I definitely won't make that mistake on a resume if I do their online campus. I read the thread about people trying to pull one over on HR managers with ridiculous certification claims, etc. I definitely do not want to make a fool of myself at an interview.

I'll have to sleep on this. Penn State's online campus is roughly $5900 a semester...while WGU integrates certifications with their degree for far less. I made the mistake of buying a degree based on its brand before...tough decisions
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Besides, if you were to be dishonest, you might as well put Harvard or MIT on there. icon_smile.gif

Yea, tough decision. The one thing nice about the Penn State program, is that your transcript, diploma and all public degree credentials are exactly the same as if you matriculated on campus, versus some online universities that have a special designation to indicate that you were taking the courses online or part time.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Where you got your degree from helps to get that first job ... which tends to set the course for the rest of your career.

If I had to do it all over again, would have gone to MIT.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I can relate with you on this since I was tempted to return to my previous school (good and reputable) that I left last March. I left there, because I literally need a break from school since I was stressed with living off-campus, financial issue, heavy classes, and girlfriend. I figured if I leave then I can use that time to figure out where I go wrong and be prepared to go back next Fall. That was not the case when I was hit with bill that I owe school just because I left in the middle of the quarter. I couldn't register for fall. So, I was looking for jobs, and I realized how hard it was for me to find a job. Even with my AAS degree and I was willing to take the minimum wage to pay off the bill if I have to. After 6 long weeks without a job, I was forced to make a life-changing decision. So I left my apartment, left my school, and went back home with my parent, and transfer to WGU. I don't regret leaving, and I definitely don't want to go back since I realized I would have to complete 2 more years (been there nearly 4 years), and I fear that I would be wasting my money if I couldn't find job after I graduate. I would have been in $50K debt in student loan.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've thought about some of their online MS degrees, but the price makes me choke...
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    ITdude wrote: »
    Also, be careful with shortened names: Penn = University of Pennsylvania, which is an Ivy League University, versus Penn State. A common mistake. By the way, Penn State is a great school too.......icon_wink.gif

After some googling, it appears that Penn state online is actually part of Pennsylvania State University and their world campus.

see Penn State | Online Degrees, Online Courses, and Online Certificates offered by Penn State <--online

which is part of Welcome to Penn State's Home on the Web <-- Pennsylvania State.

From the IST degree page located here:
    Penn State | Online Bachelor of Science in Information Sciences and Technology
    Penn State is recognized by employers around the world as a leader in higher education and a pioneer in distance learning. It has more than 100 years of distance education experience and has been offering online degree and certificate programs for more than 10 years.

Upon successful completion of this bachelor's degree, you will be awarded the same credentials as any traditional, on-campus Penn State graduate. Your transcript will be a Penn State transcript, and your diploma will be a Penn State diploma; neither will show any indication of the mode of your courses' delivery.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    WGU seems like its getting a good rep. I would go there, seriosuly being in debt really stinks =/ I have a little over 30k in loans in my name but that does not count what my mom had to take out for me icon_rolleyes.gif Though if you work for the government / state government you can get your loans forgiven!

I'm curious about WGU's Master program and some other online master degrees but I really do not want to spend more than 20k for a masters.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    higherho wrote: »
    I'm curious about WGU's Master program and some other online master degrees but I really do not want to spend more than 20k for a masters.

Then WGU is just for you!

Affordable Accredited Online University | WGU Tuition and Fees | Western Governors University

IT degrees are 3 grand a term (six months), so if you took 3 years to get your masters, that's still only 18K in tuition, plus books and fees. (Note: should take 2 years or less.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    survivor10survivor10 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this is a test
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    If you can afford Penn State go there, I remember their online MBA was pricey not sure about their other programs. I don't think there is any comparison between the two schools and Penn State has been around for a long time and has a solid reputation. I know a lot of people are going to WGU on this forum but I really question why in many cases when so many other well known and established schools offer their programs online. When getting a degree you won't use a lot of the knowledge you learn there directly, however it tells your potential employer you have the drive and the ability to commit to something. I think the name of Penn State on a resume vs WGU will open a lot more doors. Online education is definitely only going to continue to grow but I'm not a fan of purely online institutions.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shednik wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are going to WGU on this forum but I really question why in many cases when so many other well known and established schools offer their programs online.

Cost. I only spent 3K to complete my BS at WGU. Yes, I have a state university where I live. However, I would have spent at the very least, twice the amount I spent at WGU and it would have taken me over twice the amount of time to finish.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Cost. I only spent 3K to complete my BS at WGU. Yes, I have a state university where I live. However, I would have spent at the very least, twice the amount I spent at WGU and it would have taken me over twice the amount of time to finish.

3k for how many classes?
  • Options
    jdchildersjdchilders Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shednik wrote: »
    3k for how many classes?

as many as you can complete. price does not change between minimum and 11tybillionzillion^5
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow,

I didn't know about Penn State online! I am now considering it over WGU and over a local Community College.

I love the flexibility of an online education but the reputation seems not to have picked up here in the south.

I know that overall the "You got your degree online?" stigma is fading but that was holding me back from WGU; that and the fact that they were hounding me to apply like crazy while most schools are more selective.

I was going to go the CC route but the only one that has my degree around here only offers an A.A.S not an A.S so I will definitely be giving Penn State a call, thanks!
  • Options
    Overdash wrote: »
    Wow,

I didn't know about Penn State online! I am now considering it over WGU and over a local Community College.

I love the flexibility of an online education but the reputation seems not to have picked up here in the south.

I know that overall the "You got your degree online?" stigma is fading but that was holding me back from WGU; that and the fact that they were hounding me to apply like crazy while most schools are more selective.

I was going to go the CC route but the only one that has my degree around here only offers an A.A.S not an A.S so I will definitely be giving Penn State a call, thanks!

Yep, I made my mind up earlier this morning. I'm going to take it slow and do Penn State's online BS program. I'm starting at a local CC because I can transfer almost all of those credits over. It's really cheap and will save me serious coin.
  • Options
    ratchokeratchoke Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ohhsheet wrote: »
    Yep, I made my mind up earlier this morning. I'm going to take it slow and do Penn State's online BS program. I'm starting at a local CC because I can transfer almost all of those credits over. It's really cheap and will save me serious coin.

Hey was looking into penn state recently, how was your exp and opinion on it?
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2 year old thread and the OP hasn't been active since 10/2011.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete