Vertex Series SATA II - 30 Gig

Tried it in PC with MOBO - Asus P5QL/EPU

I thought they were all plug n play? has anyone ever had problems with SSD's

Any info would be great

Thanks

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you sure it actually works?

It should be picked up just like any other drive.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    is it new ssd? OCZ ssd drives are full of problem lately...
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Brand new SSD still in its origonal packaging

Was a waranty replacement sent to me from Taiwan, so it's come all that way to me for nothing, :)

So is it just as I thought, SSD's are plug n play
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Yes, they are plug and play. I have a 90gb Vertex 2 in my laptop (3 year old Toshiba). All I needed to do was change the bios from ide to ACHI, doing this enables trim support and then install your OS.

DOA is a possibility, wouldn't be the first. Check out the OCZ forums and see if they have a program to check the drive without an OS installed.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Yes, they are plug and play. I have a 90gb Vertex 2 in my laptop (3 year old Toshiba). All I needed to do was change the bios from ide to ACHI, doing this enables trim support and then install your OS.

DOA is a possibility, wouldn't be the first. Check out the OCZ forums and see if they have a program to check the drive without an OS installed.

How important is changing the setting to "AHCI" I have read on a few webpages that an SSD works on both and the speed difference is negligable

Am sure I tried that but still didn't show in BIOS so no point even booting to my WINDOWS 7 installation
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    As far as I know, that is the only way to get trim and/or smart enabled on them? I did quite a bit of research before buying and installing mine. I had determined ACHI was the best route to use, unless I ran into issues.

Just throwin it out there...you checked all settings in your bios? If you have a software RAID, did you disable it in the bios and then see if the drive was found? Are there any bios updates for your board?

If you ever get it working, these are my steps I've taken for 3 SSD install's I've done and they put out some good numbers, though some people will argue till death on a couple:

· Install in AHCI mode. (Configured in BIOS). Enables TRIM support
    · Disable Indexing. (Right click drive and uncheck Allow files on this drive…) SSD seek is fast enough that indexing is not needed. Indexing slows down SSD.
    · Turn off Defragmenter Schedule. Uncheck Run on a Schedule when in Defragmenter.
    · Disable Defragmenter Service. Only used with HDD with multi-millisecond latencies.
    · Verify TRIM is active. Cmd -> fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify if it is 0, it’s working as it should. If it is 1, TRIM is disabled. To enable TRIM, Cmd -> fsutil behavior query|set DisableDeleteNotify = 0. TRIM deletes invalid data from drive to improve life span.
    · Updated Firmware from 1.29 to 1.33 via OCZ toolbox.
    · Optional:
    o Disable System Restore
    o Disable hibernation
    o Disable Superfetch
    o Disable Prefetch
    o Controversial to turn off page file
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    The primary things to do is utilize AHCI mode for them, verify/enable TRIM and to not defrag them ever. (I've installed over a dozen of them in the last year, both at home and work. OCZ, Intel and Crucial models.)

And just like all electronics, DOA or failure a short time after is certainly possible.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Make sure your BIOS is up to date and you should check out the OCZ forums for the particular drive and hardware you are using it on because there are a lot of quirks with SSDs, especially OCZ ones. Your model doesn't use a SandForce controller so it should be easy to get it up and running by updating the BIOS and changing the SATA controller settings but just check out the forums anyway.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    +1 on first making sure the BIOS' and disk controller's latest firmware can support the drive.