New to Cisco and networking

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
Most of my knowledge is desktop/laptop PC repair. I am very new to the IT world and would like to get the Cisco CCNET and the CCNA.

What books do you recommend would be good to study for the exam? I am also looking at online lab simulation products. Which is the best?

Please list all the resources I need in order to practice the material and learn it!

My school also offers Cisco classes:

NSCOM 201/202 (Cisco Networking I & II) :

Course provides foundation knowledge in networking. Topics include: network topologies, OSI model, design and documentation, LANs, network media, protocols and routing.

NSCOM 203/204 (Cisco Networking III & IV) :

Course uses Cisco internetworking hardware to gain hands-on experience in
designing and configuring a local area network (LAN). Topics include OSI
model, LAN switching, virtual LANs, LAN design, routing protocols, access
control lists, Novell Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX) and network
management.

Should I take these before deciding to dive into studying for the certifications?

Please list all the material I should obtain so I can pass the CCNET and learn the information :D

Comments

• sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    For the CCENT I used:

Cisco Press ICND1 by Wendell Odom
    Sybex CCENT ICND1 By Todd Lammle
    CBT Nugget Videos
    Packet Tracer
    Real Hardware lab.

I took a similar class to your NSCOM 201/202 (Cisco Networking I & II) class and that is what got me hooked on networking. Most of my class mates hated it, but I loved it.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The classes and a little review after them will be more than enough to pass the CCENT and/or CCNA.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    Most of my knowledge is desktop/laptop PC repair. I am very new to the IT world and would like to get the Cisco CCNET and the CCNA.

What books do you recommend would be good to study for the exam? I am also looking at online lab simulation products. Which is the best?

Please list all the resources I need in order to practice the material and learn it!

My school also offers Cisco classes:

NSCOM 201/202 (Cisco Networking I & II) :

Course provides foundation knowledge in networking. Topics include: network topologies, OSI model, design and documentation, LANs, network media, protocols and routing.

NSCOM 203/204 (Cisco Networking III & IV) :

Course uses Cisco internetworking hardware to gain hands-on experience in
    designing and configuring a local area network (LAN). Topics include OSI
    model, LAN switching, virtual LANs, LAN design, routing protocols, access
    control lists, Novell Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX) and network
    management.

Should I take these before deciding to dive into studying for the certifications?

Please list all the material I should obtain so I can pass the CCNET and learn the information :D

For a solid career in networking you are looking at 10 years elapsed time to get around *everything*. I would concentrate less on studying for the exam so to speak this year and focus your time, efforts and money on foundation work. I think your first year starting out on this sort of career is in some senses your most important. A lot of people tank through it and if lucky on the job front blitz ahead. Then about five years down the track they choke on the heavier design responsibilities that come along because the foundation was inadequate. This includes CCNP/CCIP holders. I have recently looked at some CCIP test materials and been rather less than impressed in terms of real world application. I mean it leaves me cold as a contributor to solving some of the issues I have to work with in the field. The CCENT gives you a framework and that's fine, but some general network theory reading is your first base so you understand TCP/IP, you understand datagrams, you understand ethernet and layer 2 mechanics really well. Cisco studies are OK for layer 2 and not bad for routing. Obtain some cisco equipment off ebay, just a few devices and start out on a self study path for a few months. Then go and join a class if you feel it will help you.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    For the CCENT I used:

Cisco Press ICND1 by Wendell Odom
    Sybex CCENT ICND1 By Todd Lammle
    CBT Nugget Videos
    Packet Tracer
    Real Hardware lab.

I took a similar class to your NSCOM 201/202 (Cisco Networking I & II) class and that is what got me hooked on networking. Most of my class mates hated it, but I loved it.

With Packet Tracer, I hear you have to be a Cisco Networking Academy student in order to get the program.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With Packet Tracer, I hear you have to be a Cisco Networking Academy student in order to get the program.

Your school very well may be a CNA member.
  • jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    The school I graduated from is a member of the CNA program. However, we were allowed to use Packet Tracer for our degree classes as well.

Those classes you listed, you may well be using Packet Tracer in those classes. If not, there is also GNS3 which is free to download, but in order to use GNS3, you would need to get your hands on the actual Cisco IOS.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Does anyone know of a virtual lab environment where i pay a certain amount of money and can use it the whole year?
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    packetlife.net has a free lab. You just have to sign up for a time slot. You could always build you a small lab, or if you have an IOS image you can run GNS3. I've got both and it makes learning a lot more fun and allows you to screw something up and figure it out without causing any real damage.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does anyone know of a virtual lab environment where i pay a certain amount of money and can use it the whole year?

Better off building your own using GNS3 or buying some used gear. The hands on experience is priceless.
  • TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Yep, Dynamips/GNS3 completely changed everything when it came to Cisco study. It may take you a while to setup (as long as you have access to the IOS) but it's the best study tool you could wish for without ponying up for the hardware