Options

What networking Cert to start with?

rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I've been recently studying for my MCSE, I got the 70-290 cert in March when I was trying to move up to a server admin role at my old company. Instead, I started a job specializing in 2 way radio IP based networking support. It's a wireless type of job but the wireless consists with radios, not too many access points for computer networks. I've been reading the Sybex CWNA book and it's not too similiar for what I do. We use a lot of netgear switches barely any cisco. Would studying for Cisco certs help me with my router/switch configurations with different vendors?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suggest this order:

1) Cisco CCENT (Cisco entry-level)
    2) Cisco CCNA (Cisco associate-level)

It's true, you'll learn about switch and router theory in general with the Cisco certs. But you'll gain hands-on experience managing Cisco switches and routers. The Cisco certs really do teach the theory.

You may also want to get the CompTIA Network+ cert. Since, it's vendor-neutral, it will give you a good foundation for the Cisco certs.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Network+ could be a good starting point, then move up to CCNA.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my N+ last year

I just dont update my Cert list :)
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    rizzo777 wrote: »
    Would studying for Cisco certs help me with my router/switch configurations with different vendors?

Yes. Pay attention to how the vendor-neutral protocols works. Configuration is a different issue, but knowing how the protocols work is universal.
    Thanks

You're welcome.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)