Options

Android Tablets

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I am looking at getting one this summer, and just curious if anyone has one, and what they think of them. Right now looking at either the Samsung or Toshiba models.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Verizon Wireless is pushing the Motorola Xoom tablet for its 4G network. I can't see carrying it around instead of an Android phone, or getting more work done on it that I would a cheaper Windows netbook. But a lot of people have become heavily dependent on their iPads, so it depends on what you need to do in your daily life. But there are so many handhelds and tablets to choose form.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Wait until the holidays. New tablet tech will be available starting in the Fall.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Price wise, the 16GB Asus Transformer is a pretty good deal. They are finally upping the production numbers so they should be easier to find. Samsung dropped the ball on their WiFi Galaxy 10.1 by not including an SD slot (unless this has recently changed).

I prefer the Xoom for its superior build quality, unlocked bootloader and that it is a Google dev device so OS updates arrive on it first. I would only suggest the Xoom if you have plans of rooting though. The pricetag is hard to justify for the stock tablet.

I picked up the WiFi version because I already have a rooted EVO to tether to. No need for another data plan. I didn't think I would use it much because of my android phone but now it seems that I just use my phone to turn on WiFi tether then put it back in my pocket for the rest of the day.

I recently enrolled at WGU and this thing has been fantastic for school. I have the PDFs of all my textbooks loaded on there along with about 1,000 comic books for when I need a break from studying.

However, if you are not in any rush, I would suggest waiting for the Tegra3 chips to start hitting the new devices. Everything for the next couple months is still going to be Tegra2. It will probably be just in time for Ice Cream Sandwich.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Verizon Wireless is pushing the Motorola Xoom tablet for its 4G network. I can't see carrying it around instead of an Android phone, or getting more work done on it that I would a cheaper Windows netbook. But a lot of people have become heavily dependent on their iPads, so it depends on what you need to do in your daily life. But there are so many handhelds and tablets to choose form.

I have both a netbook and a HP Touchsmart TM2 (Win7 convertible tablet). However, I find that both of these just collect dust now. I prefer the android tablet because it is really light, really long battery and I don't have to wait on Windows to start up and bug me about updates. It makes traveling so much easier as well.

I find myself using it a lot at work now as well. Aside from having access to my work email, being able to SSH into the servers without lugging my overweight corporate laptop is great. Not to mention all of the PDFs that I reference on a daily basis are so much easier to read on a tablet than a laptop.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Wait until the holidays. New tablet tech will be available starting in the Fall.

If you can wait! Tablets are tough to resist, and even tougher to put aside once you have 'em. And we're still pretty early in the technology curve on these-- don't want to think what they'll be like even two to five years from now.

But if you simply can't resist the urge to buy now, I'll make some suggestions for the "just need one to get by" low end:
    -- Sylvania's tablets at CVS, about $100.
    -- Coby's Kyros, about $150
    -- Velocity Micro Cruz (sic?)
    -- I keep hearing really good things about the Nook Color as well
    Problem with the low end ones is that you'll have to do more of your own maintenance on the software side*-- you'll probably have to root them and do convoluted software updates to get them as you want them. They may also have lower battery life. But, they'll still be quite useful for a lot cheaper than flagship models.

*something where admittedly stuff like the iPad shines as you don't have to do all that work
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am waiting for the first tablet to be cheaper than an Wacom Cintiq with support for a wacom stylus with true pressure sensitivity. If its android, thats fine!

I sketch on my ipad but its not quiet there yet.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Before you settle on any one item, look around for support, both from the manufacturer and from a community. When I got mine, I wanted something quick, dirty, and cheap. I wound up getting an Archos 7 (not 70, a 7) for under $100. Now my girlfriend, her kids, and myself all use it for a book reader, light web surfing, and I use it to watch my nerd videos. When I was shopping around for one, this is exactly what I wanted it for, and the price was right. There were several others that could accomplish the same tasks for about the same price, but what sold me was the online community of supporters and developers I found. Having the support system is key, at least for me it is.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Coincidentally, I just ordered an Asus Transformer last night. Should be here tomorrow. It came down to either the Transformer or the new Samsung Galaxy for me. I chose the Transformer over the Galaxy for a number of reasons, but none greater than the one already mentioned here...the lack of an SD card expansion slot.

Basically, the Samsung is the designer Android tablet to buy now, as the guts in both the Galaxy and Transformer are mostly identical. For an extra fee of course, you can also get the keyboard dock for the Transformer that essentially turns it into a laptop AND adds about 6-7 hours of battery life to the tablet itself.

Also, the Acer Iconia had an outside chance since its internals were also the same, but it was a little cheaper than even the Transformer. Again, the Transformer to me, just seems like an all around better tablet right now.

Also, I got the WiFi only version. 3G is not really a concern for me as most of my use is going to be on airplanes and in places where I would have free WiFi anyway like my house and hotels.
    :study:
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a fan of the 3G/4G enabled tablets, Android is definitely preferred especially for remote support operations. Apple iPads are okay but they don't have the other utilities available.

I also use an Asus EP121 Tablet and my Android phone to tether if I need Internet access. I have been able to tweak the tablet to have at least 4.5 hours of battery life and be able to perform the same tasks that I would do on my office computer for remote support purposes.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I needed a tablet mostly to read PDFs (tech books and magazines) as well as surf the web and play games while traveling. A few months ago I got a cheap China pad and ended up returning it as I didn't have the patience required to deal with it. I ended up getting an iPad 2 wi-fi at a reduced price (buddy was relocating and needed to get rid of it fast). I've never cared for Apple products but I gotta say the thing just works. My wife and daughter love it and we end up fighting for it. I tether through my TMO HTC HD2 and it works beautifully. It all depends on what you need it for and how much you are willing to pay for it.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I am looking at getting one this summer, and just curious if anyone has one, and what they think of them. Right now looking at either the Samsung or Toshiba models.

A good article on the different types of tablets avialable.

iPad Comparison Chart
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I've had the original iPad since they were release, and I've really liked it. My kids get a lot of use of out it too.

Lately though I've been thinking about selling it and getting an android tablet. I really like that they've got widgets. The only thing I'm worried about it apps though. There are tons of apps for the iPad, and I would probably miss having some of them.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    There are tons of apps for the iPad, and I would probably miss having some of them.
    The one app I saw running on an iPad in the Apple Store that made me want to buy an iPad right then and there: iCircuit.

I'd buy a Xoom 2 if there was an equivalent Android app that supported Arduino simulation.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The one app I saw running on an iPad in the Apple Store that made me want to buy an iPad right then and there: iCircuit.

I'd buy a Xoom 2 if there was an equivalent Android app that supported Arduino simulation.

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.vlada.droidteslapro&feature=more_from_developer

edit: you can also get autocad on a android tab

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.autodesk.autocadws&feature=search_result
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    In regards to less Android apps than iPad apps, it is important to note that a majority of the Apple Apps have been created to replace web based content that the device can't run native like Flash based things.

For example, Marvel.com has an iOS app for reading digital issues. This is because an iOS device isn't able to display these in a browser due to lack of Flash support. However, an Android app for this isn't necessary because an Android user can just go to the site like they would from their desktop and view content as it was intended.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    In regards to less Android apps than iPad apps, it is important to note that a majority of the Apple Apps have been created to replace web based content that the device can't run native like Flash based things.

For example, Marvel.com has an iOS app for reading digital issues. This is because an iOS device isn't able to display these in a browser due to lack of Flash support. However, an Android app for this isn't necessary because an Android user can just go to the site like they would from their desktop and view content as it was intended.

I like the app model. I can still get to my content when I'm in the subway or elsewhere with no signal.