Options

NOC job questions

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
So I might have a shot to move into the NOC at my job. Today one of the guys in there asked a few questions about VLAN's and routers, pretty much Network+ type stuff.

I'm going to start studying for the CCENT tonight. I think this is a huge opportunity for me, any pointers?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    So I might have a shot to move into the NOC at my job. Today one of the guys in there asked a few questions about VLAN's and routers, pretty much Network+ type stuff.

I'm going to start studying for the CCENT tonight. I think this is a huge opportunity for me, any pointers?
    go for CCNA
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Being willing to work any hours and expressing enthusiasm for networking are things you can emphasize right now. Good luck with the CCNA studies!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    It's 3:20AM, I'm at my NOC studying for my CCENT. I haven't done a single thing besides that.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »

Time for ebay. Buy 2 x routers and 2 x switches. You want to be learning the basics of how to drive the IOS. You also want to learning the physical layer and aspects of WAN technology. On a router learn ways to connect to it. Understand how to do the following:

backup the running configuration
    configure a vlan
    add a vlan to an interface
    configure a trunk
    configure an interface
    troubleshoot an interface - show commands
    ping
    traceroute
    understand routing tables
    basics routing configurations
    tftp a new IOS image
    SFP adapters and modules
    media types

Stick to the basics
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    drew726 wrote: »
    It's 3:20AM, I'm at my NOC studying for my CCENT. I haven't done a single thing besides that.

That's one of the plus points of jobs like that, plenty of downtime to study. Use it well though because when you are not doing anything demanding you are missing out on valuable experience opportunities you could be doing employed somewhere else.

Increasingly people perceive the NOC to be less of a hot house of technical wizardry these days, and more like a place where books are read to pass the time between change windows. Look for opportunities to find challenging work.