Layer 1

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone know of a good "Teach yourself cabling and other layer one technologies book". Something on the lines of BICSI but without the cost

http://www.bicsi.org

Found this from Bicsi but man is it costly:

https://www.bicsi.org/book_details.aspx?Book=ITSIMM-CD-6.0-v2&d=0

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    What are you trying to learn exactly? Does your new job require a lot of cabling or is this just something you want to learn?
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A bit steep on the price but still interesting. Thanks
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shednik wrote: »
    What are you trying to learn exactly? Does your new job require a lot of cabling or is this just something you want to learn?

A little of both. Plus I may have to do some ethernet cabling for my parents smb so I'd like to learn a little more about it.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Awesome, coolios.

Join the Army, and do this MOS, and you'll be good to go:

25L -- CABLE SYSTEMS INSTALLER--MAINTAINER

Depending on your situation, it may be less expensive to get a good book :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    If you're reasonably intelligent (I'm not implying that you are stupid, an idiot, or anything along those lines) and good at piecing things together, you can actually get every bit of information you need to start cabling on the Internet. There are tons of pages where you can learn all that stuff for free from the people who have been doing telecom infrastructure work for years.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    here's what I know about cabling:

I plug it in.

If it works, I go drink beer.

If it doesn't, I replace it with another one.

Then I go drink beer.

In all seriousness, everything I learned about cabling, I did on the fly. Running and punching cat5 is not difficult. making your own patch cables sucks, don't do it, buy them. It'll be worth it in the end.

As far as fiber goes.... BEFORE you buy the fiber cable, make sure you know what kind of fiber cables the optical interfaces will take. ie, single mode, multimode, what nanometer, and so on. That's an expensive mistake to make, and unlike ethernet, you actually do have to worry about cable types beyond the type of connector. Looking at the specs for the optics before you purchase is recommended.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would get this book, it seems to cover all the bases needed. All you really need to do is drill any holes through walls, run the conduit on the wall, drill the surface-mounted boxes to the wall, run the spool of UTP Cat 5e around the building and terminate the ends at both the patch panel and the wall jack. Cable test/certify the whole network and your done. Always run extra points were needed.

Very labour intensive task (good workout!), I've done a few cabling jobs before. One where we had to drill through several 1 foot thick reinforced walls to get all the cables through. One guy broke his hand when the drill kicked against rebar in the wall!

I've done it but wouldn't do cabling jobs for a living. And I agree buy patch cables they are pre-tested - only make up cables when you need a custom cable lenght (like patching a computer that only has a wall jack on the far side of the room - for instance, but that's rare).
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    Anyone know of a good "Teach yourself cabling and other layer one technologies book". Something on the lines of BICSI but without the cost

I just came upon this while looking for something on Safari books.

Amazon.com: Cabling: The Complete Guide to Copper and Fiber-Optic Networking (9780470477076): Andrew Oliviero, Bill Woodward: Books