Options

Taking ICND1 Tomorrow - Few Questions

smashedpumpkinssmashedpumpkins Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□

EDIT: I PASSED! 937 :)

Oh boy...! Tomorrows the day I take the ICND1. I feel pretty confident. The practice tests have all been pretty difficult, but I'm not doing bad and some are harder than the ICND1. I've been lurking these forums for a few days and it's been really helpful. I can answer most subnetting questions within 30 seconds or so.

Quick question. I'm planning to take the first 5 minutes of the test to create a chart. I have a lot of it memorized and some of it I can quickly figure out, but a chart will allow me to easily find information without the chance of error. The only things I really have in my mind to add to the chart are the CIDR notation and mask for each subnet and the 2^1=2, 2^2=4 etc... Is there anything else I should add to the chart?

I'm currently working on practice exams that are included in the Odom book and I swear 3/4th of the questions are "Select all that apply". Are the majority of the test questions these types? Thanks!

Study Materials
CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Certification Guide - Wendell Odom
Currently enrolled in two networking classes and a wireless networking class
Lots of Packet Tracer labs through the classes and some hardware labs also

Next On The List
I'm actually taking both the ICND1 and ICND2 for my Senior Project. As long as I pass the ICND1 test I'll be taking the ICND2 test in a month or so. If I sadly don't pass, I'll be retaking the ICND1 test.

Should I consider taking the Network+ certification as well after the CCNA? Will I be safe to jump right in after just a little review?
Fortune favors the brave.

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Should I consider taking the Network+ certification as well after the CCNA? Will I be safe to jump right in after just a little review?

No.

The Network+ is a downgrade.

Here's a difficulty/prestige chart.
    Network+ = +++++
    CCNA..... = +++++++++++++++++++++++++

==============

CCNA should open up an entry-level networking opportunity to you (if you do not already have one).

If you want to certify to differentiate yourself, a CCNA specialization in an area that you appreciate would be helpful. If you want to certify to market yourself, then CCNP is the obvious choice. CCNP is more marketable than various CCNA specializations. If you're working in a certain area, the CCNA specialization might be more immediately useful, in a day-to-day type of way. If you're working on promotion/advancement opportunities, then the NP might be the logical next step. Because of this day-to-day relevance, I'm likely to pursue the CCNA:Security after gaining the CCNA.

On another point, if you're interested in Wireless enough to be taking a class on it, CWNA is out there, as well as CCNA:Wireless. The key difference is that the CWNA is vendor neutral.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    ramirerramirer Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh boy...! Tomorrows the day I take the ICND1. I feel pretty confident. The practice tests have all been pretty difficult, but I'm not doing bad and some are harder than the ICND1. I've been lurking these forums for a few days and it's been really helpful. I can answer most subnetting questions within 30 seconds or so.

Quick question. I'm planning to take the first 5 minutes of the test to create a chart. I have a lot of it memorized and some of it I can quickly figure out, but a chart will allow me to easily find information without the chance of error. The only things I really have in my mind to add to the chart are the CIDR notation and mask for each subnet and the 2^1=2, 2^2=4 etc... Is there anything else I should add to the chart?

I'm currently working on practice exams that are included in the Odom book and I swear 3/4th of the questions are "Select all that apply". Are the majority of the test questions these types? Thanks!

Study Materials
    CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Certification Guide - Wendell Odom
    Currently enrolled in two networking classes and a wireless networking class
    Lots of Packet Tracer labs through the classes and some hardware labs also

Next On The List
    I'm actually taking both the ICND1 and ICND2 for my Senior Project. As long as I pass the ICND1 test I'll be taking the ICND2 test in a month or so. If I sadly don't pass, I'll be retaking the ICND1 test.

I would recommend before you even start the test make the chart first. Maybe the OSI model as well along with PDU information on the side of it. I wouldn't even bother with the Net+ if you do get the CCNA. Instead work on some Windows certs for a better rounded knowledge base.
  • Options
    Thanks both of you. The CWNA is a great possibility that I'm considering. Quick question that you may or may not be able to answer. For questions that are select all that apply, do you get any partial credit if you get part of it correct?
  • Options
    Thanks both of you. The CWNA is a great possibility that I'm considering. Quick question that you may or may not be able to answer. For questions that are select all that apply, do you get any partial credit if you get part of it correct?

No idea.

It would seem that you would want to consult with the vendor offering the test.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    No idea.

It would seem that you would want to consult with the vendor offering the test.
    I thought the test was the same everywhere. How does the test vary vendor by vendor?
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Passed this today. I think you get partial credit for mostly correct answers, most of the 'match networking term with description' questions I got today were so easy getting it vastly wrong would be difficult to do. The exam tutorial will show you how to match up the questions. Also use the exam tutorial time to write out your subnetting chart (if you do that type of thing) it'll make your subnetting questions so much easier.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I thought the test was the same everywhere. How does the test vary vendor by vendor?

From my understanding the only people that know that are Cisco. Even if Pearson Vue knew, it would be against Cisco policy for them to tell anyone. That being said, the best time to do the chart is right when you get in the room. You'll have a small survey beforehand that gives you a bit of time to prepare yourself mentally and jot down anything on your erase board.

I wrote down the possible mask values, cidr notation, hosts and subnets. Made me go a lot quicker, although that's also part of the reason I didn't pass on my first try. I went through things way to quickly. Pay attention to the clock and try and set a nice pace but not to fast. Also be aware that you cannot go back once you answer the question and proceed, be sure of your answers. Good luck!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Skip the A+ crap and go directly for the CCNP. If you want to work in the Cisco space this will be the best thing you could ever do (unless you want to go directly to the CCIE hehe)
  • Options
    Yeahhh I passed! The test was definitely easier than the practice exams that came with the Cisco ICND1 Odom book. However, the practice exams taught me a lot and I wouldn't go without them. Being in a couple classes right now also really helped with virtual and live labs. I scored an amazing 937!

I've got about a month before I take the ICND2 exam so I'm really going to have to study hard. I took the studying for ICND1 too slowly and it took 1 1/2 months.

Oh and I did create a chart containing the masks, cidr notations, and hosts. It really helps you speed things up and feel confident about only having to do the math once.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Passed this today.
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    I passed!
    Congratulations!!

So who's buying the drunken_smilie.gif tonight to celebrate? :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options

Congrats!
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Passed this today.

Congrats!

Also, don't worry about taking a month and a half to prepare for such a difficult test, LOL. It's better to study a month and a half and pass comfortably, than to try to rush it after two weeks, and fail horribly.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□

icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    CONGRATZ BRO!!!icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    mukITmukIT Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Amazing score man!
    A+, Net+, Security+
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□