Options

Network Warrior 2nd Edition

viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
Good morning to all,

I just got my copy of Network Warrior 2nd Edition. All I can say is that this book is great!

It has alot of real life scenerios and examples. I like how easy the book is to read and understand. I'm currently studying for my CCNP - ROUTE and NW 2nd edition just throws a little extra info. to the studies.

The book gives you a lot of info. Definitely a must have for any Network Engineer. This will be one of many books I will be carrying with me to work everyday.

Highly recommended!
CCNP Security - DONE!
CCNP R&S - In Progress...
CCIE Security - Future...

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Okay, I see this title quite often here in the forum, and now I'm a little curious to read it as well, but I will save my money for the next newer edition when I actually have time to pick it up and read. I have several books that I bought within the last two years, and I only read 25% of them so far. Not good. icon_cry.gif

My question is: do you think anyone can read this book? Or is it specifically for someone who's working on his/her CCNP? Because I want to know what it takes to be a network engineer, before I decide to pursue that career, but I am afraid the book may be too overwheming for somone with a CCNA. I know I am asking too soon, but I hope you can skim through the book to give me some idea. Thanks.
  • Options
    Okay, I see this title quite often here in the forum, and now I'm a little curious to read it as well, but I will save my money for the next newer edition when I actually have time to pick it up and read. I have several books that I bought within the last two years, and I only read 25% of them so far. Not good. icon_cry.gif

My question is: do you think anyone can read this book? Or is it specifically for someone who's working on his/her CCNP? Because I want to know what it takes to be a network engineer, before I decide to pursue that career, but I am afraid the book may be too overwheming for somone with a CCNA. I know I am asking too soon, but I hope you can skim through the book to give me some idea. Thanks.

Anyone can read the book. It's not like the Cisco Press books that make you feel dumb because you have to re-read a paragraph like 5x before you can even begin to understand what you are reading.

This book is really geared for people studying for the CCNA, but anyone can read it. The great thing about it, is that it has real life examples in the book.

I just got the book yesterday and so far so good. It also has topics not covered in the CCNA.

I too, also kept on seeing the NW book being mentioned a lot in this forum and became curious. I was going to buy it a few months back and then learned that the new edition was coming out at the end of May beginning of June so, I waited and got it. The new print is the 2nd edition.

You can go to amazon and look inside the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Network-Warrior-Gary-Donahue/dp/1449387861

Good Book to have.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    schmalz2schmalz2 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□

If your short on money sometimes I find awesomely low prices on half.com even with newer books. The downside to that site is sometimes the seller takes a long time to ship.
  • Options
    viper75 wrote: »
    I too, also kept on seeing the NW book being mentioned a lot in this forum and became curious. I was going to buy it a few months back and then learned that the new edition was coming out at the end of May beginning of June so, I waited and got it. The new print is the 2nd edition.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear that we want to read NW for the same reasons.
    schmalz2 wrote: »
    If your short on money sometimes I find awesomely low prices on half.com even with newer books. The downside to that site is sometimes the seller takes a long time to ship.
    Lol, I apologize if I wasn't being clear in the first place. I don't have trouble affording this book at all. It's just the fact that I know I would never be able to pick it up to read it since I have many other books at home that I have not yet read. I want to finish those tech books before they becomes obsolete, but I always find myself getting stuck on one book for so long, because of labbing and no money to take the exam. So I would hate to add NW to the "dust-off" list now.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    viper75 wrote: »
    Good morning to all,

I just got my copy of Network Warrior 2nd Edition. All I can say is that this book is great!

+1 my pre-ordered copy arrived last week. I've only had a quick flip through it. I'm still working my way through the first edition, before I start on the 2nd :)
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    MosGuy wrote: »
    +1 my pre-ordered copy arrived last week. I've only had a quick flip through it. I'm still working my way through the first edition, before I start on the 2nd :)

LOL...

Just NOT enough time in a day for work, study for my CCNP, read this book, and next month start trying to study for the new CCNP Security track. Some of the new books for the CCNP Security start to come out next month. icon_sad.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    schmalz2schmalz2 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lol, I apologize if I wasn't being clear in the first place. I don't have trouble affording this book at all. It's just the fact that I know I would never be able to pick it up to read it since I have many other books at home that I have not yet read. I want to finish those tech books before they becomes obsolete, but I always find myself getting stuck on one book for so long, because of labbing and no money to take the exam. So I would hate to add NW to the "dust-off" list now.
    Ha, yes, I have a lot of books laying around that I haven't read or only half read. Sorry for my assumption. Learning costs a lot of money but it is worth it. The good thing is the exams aren't ridiculously priced compared to non-IT certifications but I don't think a lot of people know that.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□

WHAT?! YOU DONT HAVE THIS BOOK!? ROFLOL LMAO!

Naw just kidding , all jokes aside its a great book. It perfect for those who have passed their CCNA and are working into the CCNP route. There are many topics that Donahue touches that are not in the CCNP track as well. He will cover nexus, 6500, QOS, Metro-E technologies like DS3, T1, etc. Its a very good book, its like having a senior engineer teach you and explain to you things from his experience. Its not like some certification exam books where they seem to read like computer manuals. Definitely pick up this book icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    He will cover nexus, 6500, QOS, Metro-E technologies like DS3, T1, etc. Its a very good book, its like having a senior engineer teach you and explain to you icon_thumright.gifthings from his experience. Its not like some certification exam books where they seem to read like computer manuals. Definitely pick up this book

Thanks Chrisone. Now that you mentioned Nexus, 6500, and Metro-E technolgies, I feel like a total noob already. I will pick it up when the time is right icon_wink.gif. Hopefully soon this summer.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Does anyone have a good list of what changed between 1st and 2nd edition? I'm a huge fan of the book, but I am stingy with my cash. Unless there's something I need in 2nd ed, I probably won't pick it up
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Nevermind, found the answer to my own question. For anyone else interested, here's what's new from the author hisself

GAD's Ramblings Network Warrior, Second Edition
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks like the Second Edition, is worth the expenseicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome list of updates. I might just get the PDF version of this when its available. I already bought the first book edition, so a 9.99 pdf if available will suffice lol Well that would be cool if they do have something similar to ciscopress and their 9.99 specials icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    I might just get the PDF version of this when its available.

You can get the Kindle for PC version of this book from Amazon. There is usually not much difference in price from the hard copy but is a great, very readable version.

This is a terrific book. In fact, I think that he might be a little modest in saying the range is primarily from between CCNA and CCNP. I think it makes a great refresher and reference for advanced people too, especially with the added topics in the second edition.icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nevermind, found the answer to my own question. For anyone else interested, here's what's new from the author hisself

GAD's Ramblings Network Warrior, Second Edition

Thanks for the link. It might be about time to grab this ver as the changes definitely warrant it :). I got through 2/3rds of the first version during my CCNA/CCENT prep but never got to finish it.
  • Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm on chapter 10 ..or maybe 11... I read it when I can. It's not at all like a cert guide or test prep book. Just a lot of good useful information from someone who has done all of this before. I read the 1st edition before I had even completed my CCNA. Some parts can be a little weird and confusing if you've never worked with that particular equipment, but mostly, it's a very good & easy reading book. I think it's well worth the time and a good break from trying to study or lab or memorize commands. There should be more books of this type available.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ordered mine today. Should be here Tuesday. That'll give me some time to finish the old one.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ok I got my copy today. Looks like the first 6 chapters are pretty much the same. I plan to blow through them tonight.
  • Options
    Not to necro-thread, I had to revive this thread so I can finally make my announcement. Just got my Network Warrior 2nd edition in mail today. I hope to use this as a good nightly read, reviewing my dying Cisco/networking knowledge while I work on my RHCSA and master. I hope the other posters here finished this book or else they should be put to shame. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I just recently got this book as well, but I haven't started reading it yet... refreshing actual CCNA stuff first
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    If you got your CCNA less than a year ago, then I don't see why you should review the official material when the NW can serve as a good refresher as well when it supposedly covers more than what you learned from your CCNA. You may find the real-world approaches in the book helpful for your next interview. I got my CCNA last December, but recently passed the Security speciality exam this past July.