Windows Internals 6th Edition

origdavorigdav MemberMember Posts: 39 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Any ideas on release dates for this book? Can't seem to find much on Google...

What did people think to the 5th Edition? I may buy this anyway for now, some light bedtime reading ;)

Cheers

David

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Probably end of year from what I've Googled. I have both the 4th and 5th editions, although I've only read up on sections which were directly relevant to my area of work. These books really get into it, far ... far beyond what any Microsoft certification book touches. Any serious Windows admin should read the 5th edition.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • origdavorigdav Member Member Posts: 39 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I thought that too. Now I've got my MCSA and MCITP:SA I'm trying to pick a book(s) worth reading which aren't necessarily exam focussed. Anything Windows Server / AD / DNS / DHCP / Group policy would interest me.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Senior Member Member Posts: 1,658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a windows internal exam.
    2021 Goals: [X] Terraform Associate [X] AZ-204 [X] AZ-400 [X] AWS Cloud Practitioner [X] Terraform CHiP
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    There is a windows internal exam.

Yea - 70-660, quite a tough one actually with the 5th edition as only reference ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I had no idea this book packed this much data about Windows.

I could never memorize most of this but it is certainly interesting to view.

I looked it up on books 24x7. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    docrice wrote: »
    Probably end of year from what I've Googled. I have both the 4th and 5th editions, although I've only read up on sections which were directly relevant to my area of work. These books really get into it, far ... far beyond what any Microsoft certification book touches. Any serious Windows admin should read the 5th edition.

How is the networking portion of the book? Does it go into any of the protocols that the GCIA goes over?

Would you guys recommend this book to someone who is trying to learn windows from a security perspective or are other books better places to start.
    How is the networking portion of the book? Does it go into any of the protocols that the GCIA goes over?

Would you guys recommend this book to someone who is trying to learn windows from a security perspective or are other books better places to start.

In response to your query, I quickly glanced at the networking chapter of the book (starting on page 1001). I don't think it really looks at networking in protocol / packet form the way the GCIA approaches analysis, but you'll learn way more about Microsoft TCP/IP networking from this book than any other. I'm glad you brought it up - I'm taking this to work tomorrow.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
    In response to your query, I quickly glanced at the networking chapter of the book (starting on page 1001). I don't think it really looks at networking in protocol / packet form the way the GCIA approaches analysis, but you'll learn way more about Microsoft TCP/IP networking from this book than any other. I'm glad you brought it up - I'm taking this to work tomorrow.

So it isn't packet based?

I could see why it wouldn't be, considering the audience. But learning about MS networking would still be beneficial.
    The packet level doesn't necessarily show you much about how the protocol works. For example, if you can see a full packet **** with the IP and TCP headers displayed in all their glory, you can observe and analyze what the transport layer is doing ... provided that you actually understand how IP and TCP works per RFC and common real-world implementations.

Same thing here with MS protocols. The book goes into the mechanics of RPC, marshaling, stub procedures, etc.. SANS SEC503 / GCIA doesn't even come close to covering a lot of this like Windows Internals does. This is stuff that I need to read up on big time as any Active Directory environment highly relies on it.
    The packet level doesn't necessarily show you much about how the protocol works. For example, if you can see a full packet **** with the IP and TCP headers displayed in all their glory, you can observe and analyze what the transport layer is doing ... provided that you actually understand how IP and TCP works per RFC and common real-world implementations.

Same thing here with MS protocols. The book goes into the mechanics of RPC, marshaling, stub procedures, etc.. SANS SEC503 / GCIA doesn't even come close to covering a lot of this like Windows Internals does. This is stuff that I need to read up on big time as any Active Directory environment highly relies on it.

Interesting. I might pick up this book when it comes out. My new job won't be directly windows related but this seems like it would be a good read for my gcia attempt at some point (and for general knowledge).
    I wouldn't pick it up as a GCIA prep. General Windows knowledge (much deeper than your average sysadmin), yes.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher A cornfield in OhioMember Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't pick it up as a GCIA prep. General Windows knowledge (much deeper than your average sysadmin), yes.
    "General Window's knowledge" is not quite what I would associate with this book, "much deeper than your average sysadmin" however I would.

I really think this would be a total waste of money for you, Bl8ck. I have owned the 4th and 5th editions and can say this is way too much info for a network guy. If you want it for your library just too have it, that is one thing. It is exceptionally deep and really targeted at devs.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "General Window's knowledge" is not quite what I would associate with this book, "much deeper than your average sysadmin" however I would.

I really think this would be a total waste of money for you, Bl8ck. I have owned the 4th and 5th editions and can say this is way too much info for a network guy. If you want it for your library just too have it, that is one thing. It is exceptionally deep and really targeted at devs.

Yeah, it seems like the information would be hard to even utilize in a normal sysadmin role.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher A cornfield in OhioMember Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mishra wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems like the information would be hard to even utilize in a normal sysadmin role.

Now that being said, from a security perspective it would be an important book to have on one's shelf.
    Now that being said, from a security perspective it would be an important book to have on one's shelf.

This is what I was thinking. Not as a "network guy" but as a "security guy".
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So 4th edition is 2000,XP,2003 5th edition is Vista/2008, and then the 6th edition will be 7/2008?

Seems like I should pick up both the 4th and 6th editions to have on hand for reference.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • origdavorigdav Member Member Posts: 39 ■□□□□□□□□□
    £49.99 Windows® Internals: Covering Windows Server® 2008 R2 and Windows 7
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows%C2%AE-Internals-Covering-Windows-Server%C2%AE/dp/0735648735/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311631515&sr=1-3
    Pre-order, book out on 22 Dec 2011