Options

Want to build a lab to start my CCNA study

rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Is it worth buying switches/routers or to invest in simulator software?

If the HW is the best route, what equipment is good to start with?

If the SW is the best route, what's the SW called?

Thanks always!

Comments

• Options
    Just saw this on craigslist, is this a good setup/deal?

350$

am selling the following Cisco equipment and Rack. All equipment is used and is in working condition. This equipment is perfect for CCNA/CCNP lab studies.

Please feel free to email me with questions. Pickup only

The following is included:

1x Cisco 1710 Router (1x Ethernet, 1x FastEthernet)
    1x Cisco 2950 24 port switch
    2x Cisco 2900 24 port switch
    1x Cisco 2620 (1x FastEthernet, 1x four port serial A/S)
    1x Cisco 2510 (2x Serial, 1x Async eight port)
    1x Cisco 2610 (1x FastEthernet, 1x Serial wic1t, 1x wic1 dsu 56k, 1x bri 4b-u)
    1x Cisco 2610DC (1x FastEthernet, 1x Serial wic1t, 1x wic 1bu isdn Bri)
    2x CentreCOM AT-210T Twisted Pair Transceiver 210T 10 Base
    4x Two FT Serial DCE/DTE cables (back to back cables)
    1x CISCO CABLE 8-LEAD OCTAL CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC 72-0845
    1x Skeletek C12U Rack Mount FRAME 12U for Cisco Router
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm torn on it. The 2510 and the rack alone are probably worth the asking price or at least close, but you're probably going to want to upgrade some of the other stuff at some point and that's going to be a bit hard to stomach after dropping $350.

It will get you through the CCNA, but that's it.
  • Options
    Ok,

If I were to get something to get me farther than a CCNA, what equipment should I buy without spending a million $

Your help is appreciated
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    rizzo777 wrote: »
    Ok,

If I were to get something to get me farther than a CCNA, what equipment should I buy without spending a million $

Your help is appreciated

There are already a ton oe post on this topic. I would suggesting searching for lab threads. You will find most will recommend 1700's and 2600xm's routers and 2950 swithes. They will run 12.4 IOS, and are farily cheap. 3 of each will get everything you need. Its also a good starting point for a CCNP lab. 3640's are also a decent router to use.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    rizzo777 wrote: »
    Just saw this on craigslist, is this a good setup/deal?

350$

am selling the following Cisco equipment and Rack. All equipment is used and is in working condition. This equipment is perfect for CCNA/CCNP lab studies.

Please feel free to email me with questions. Pickup only

The following is included:

1x Cisco 1710 Router (1x Ethernet, 1x FastEthernet)
    1x Cisco 2950 24 port switch
    2x Cisco 2900 24 port switch
    1x Cisco 2620 (1x FastEthernet, 1x four port serial A/S)
    1x Cisco 2510 (2x Serial, 1x Async eight port)
    1x Cisco 2610 (1x FastEthernet, 1x Serial wic1t, 1x wic1 dsu 56k, 1x bri 4b-u)
    1x Cisco 2610DC (1x FastEthernet, 1x Serial wic1t, 1x wic 1bu isdn Bri)
    2x CentreCOM AT-210T Twisted Pair Transceiver 210T 10 Base
    4x Two FT Serial DCE/DTE cables (back to back cables)
    1x CISCO CABLE 8-LEAD OCTAL CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC 72-0845
    1x Skeletek C12U Rack Mount FRAME 12U for Cisco Router

Actually if you have no current knowledge and want something to get you going, with the idea that you will have to do some selling/swap/trading of some of that equipment, and of course haggle the price to 300. its not a bad deal.

The Rack is an easy 100.oo, and one of the nicer models to choose from for your own lab, he also has a 2950 Switch which is pretty much a staple of the lab environment(and worth 30 to 50 depending on exact model), there is a 2620 Router w/ NM-4A/S(depending on mem-config thats an est 75 to 80.oo) and he has another 2610DC router with some decent usable cards (although the router is a DC model and junk as far as I am concerned). As well as another regular 2610 Router with cards, and of course the cables.

So you add up the parts that are worth something and what it would cost you to find them on eBay add in shipping for the rack and stuff and I think tha 3 bills is not bad, the rest of the stuff is marginal at best and I would sell off to off set cost and replace with nicer parts that suit you better.

So, I would say if you are serious and can get it for 300, buy it!
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com