loopback interface and when to create them

e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
Folks:
I am reading about loopback interfaces; however, I am trying to understand when I would create these interfaces. In addition, is it a wise idea to always create a loopback interface on at least one interface of a router?

Thanks.
Utini!

Comments

• MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Loop backs are useful when you don't have additional PC's to plug in or want to simulate basic internet connectivity through ping or trace route. Personally I don't create them on every router. Normally only end routes i.e: a LAN or an "internet" connection. You can certainly add them on every router to simulate multiple sub-nets. Usually for me one of two IPs is enough to test ping & trace route. But it all depends on the lab or scenario I'm working on.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    You'll also find them useful when you implement OSPF or BGP.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    The nice thing to remember about loopback interfaces is they are always on, meaning as long as the router has power and is operational the loopback interface will be pingable.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    loopbacks usually used in ospf router id for ccna level exams and for additonal pc requirenment

just remember these things for ccn

there are lot of uses of loopback as u will go in advance studies
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    loopbacks usually used in ospf router id for ccna level exams and for additonal pc requirenment

just remember these things for ccna

there are lot of uses of loopback as u will go in advance studies
  • e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    Thanks folks!!!
    Utini!
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had to create a loopback while labbing this weekend. I did not want to drag out another PC just to see the network information being sent with RIP.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action