Options

GNS3 question

neuregelneuregel Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im kinda thinking I should be asking this somewhere else: I seen alot of guys on here talking about GNS3 so I snooped around and realized it was a virtual router program and it looks wicked cool. So I downloaded GNS3-0.7.4-win32-all-in-one.exe and installed it to my laptop running windows 7 32 bit.

GNS3 gives message "please register at least one IOS image" when i drop in a router. Not sure where to go from here.

I been to and registered on these sites:
GNS3 Labs :: Cisco Router Simulator Network Labs & Topologies For CCENT, CCNA, CCNP & CCIE Candidates!
GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator

I know forums there are supposed to help but I feel like im just going in circles and I been at this since last night and Its cutting into valuable study time. Im still not really understanding how to get this program up and running correctly.

I did purchase and installed boson 8 but would also like to work out of GNS3 because of the ability to download labs from others people.

I can usually can figure this stuff out, but this time I have to swallow some pride and ask if someone could please advise where to go from here. ACK.....I feel dumb for even asking.

Comments

• Options
    TSaLTSaL Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out Free CCNA Workbook they have a good walk through on how to set up GNS3.
  • Options
    j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    In order to use GNS3 you will need to have the actual IOS image from a Cisco router. Boson is a simulator whereas GNS3 actually runs a router image like it is a router.
  • Options
    thats the part that I dont understand. how do I get an ios image? do i buy one from cisco or can I download them.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    neuregel wrote: »
    thats the part that I dont understand. how do I get an ios image? do i buy one from cisco or can I download them.

In order to get an IOS image, you can get a copy from one of your working routers, but I'm assuming you don't have a router, so you would have to look elsewhere to figure it out. I don't think you can buy them directly from Cisco though. You can get routers or switches for cheap right off ebay. Just remember, Cisco IOS is not free, and it's a proprietary software. It is not something you can simply download for free. The only legit way to get it is from a working router that you own.
  • Options
    hehe right got it thanks
  • Options
    curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In the comments of of the
    Lab 1-6 – Basic Graphic Network Simulator v3 Configuration

a user tells you how you can obtain the images, i'm not going to say anymore on that, after you get you're working images, you'll also need to edit the configuration topology provided by the site in notepad, ie make sure the path to image files for you're routers to use are correct.

After a little messing around and following the labs and guys comments etc, I got my GNS3 working last week and i'll start to follow the labs from this week, as this Summer i'll be preparing for my CCNA also!
  • Options
    Thanks.......I got the images I needed. Its a pain to configure but I have it up and working from what I can tell. what I was really interested in was the juniper router ios's, I believe I have the correct ones but will mess with after I finish ccna stuff. I am currently running labs using packet tracer and boson 8