Options

A chapter a day?

sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
Should I aim to read a chapter a day of Michael Meyers A+ book? I've been through Cisco's IT Essentials class/read their material and am prepping for the test by reading Michael Meyers All-In-One 7th edition with some practice tests. It's a long book.... how should I go about it?

Comments

• Options
    slushislushi Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sentimetal wrote: »
    Should I aim to read a chapter a day of Michael Meyers A+ book? I've been through Cisco's IT Essentials class/read their material and am prepping for the test by reading Michael Meyers All-In-One 7th edition with some practice tests. It's a long book.... how should I go about it?

I bought the Mike Meyers Exam Cram version of the book and didn't even finish it and passed (studied for 3 weeks). I supplemented it with Professor Messer's videos. I've taken exams and passed exams without finishing books, so study till you feel comfortable. Take practice exams/questions, watch videos, and lab if you need to.
  • Options
    slushi wrote: »
    I bought the Mike Meyers Exam Cram version of the book and didn't even finish it and passed (studied for 3 weeks). I supplemented it with Professor Messer's videos. I've taken exams and passed exams without finishing books, so study till you feel comfortable. Take practice exams/questions, watch videos, and lab if you need to.

I almost think I should have bought that book instead. I have the CBT Nugget A+ vids I'll probably supplement it with.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doesn't have to be a chapter a day. I don't have that book, but I tried this method with the book I did have... Some days I would fall off track and not read a chapter which wasn't bad at all. I did finish it. If you do not know the material, you could do a chapter every other day or so. Using the days in between to go over the chapters. Thats just my method of study.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    watch videos from professor messer and learn about various components.
    try building yourself a computer on newegg.com to learn what is compatible with what.

i got into IT through a strong systems building/enthusiast background.
    it helped alot.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    watch videos from professor messer and learn about various components.
    try building yourself a computer on newegg.com to learn what is compatible with what.

i got into IT through a strong systems building/enthusiast background.
    it helped alot.

I grew up building and troubleshooting my own machines as well, so I don't think I'll need to lab or anything for the A+. Just kind of need the cert. to help with entry level. Thanks for the suggestions, though.
  • Options
    DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    I have the Exam Cram 5th edition book. I can read a chapter a day but i find that the information doesnt soak in as well for me. I end up writing down all info I think is important into a notepad. My pace maybe slower, but Its effective for me and I feel has helped me tremendously in college.
  • Options
    showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will do ok. I read either 1 or 2 chapters per day. A few times I went 2 days to a full week without reading anything or studying! Bought the book on 9-24-10, took both tests one after another on 11-24-10 and passed. I was the same way as you, worked on and built computers since I was 14, so the book itself, the Mike Meyers book, was somewhat a bore to me at times. (No way knocking the book, it helped me pass both tests with ease). What I mean by a bore is, if you are reading over some material and its boring to you, meaning you know it already, just skim through it.

Lots of Call of duty MW2 inbetween studying!

Take both tests the same day if you can. I personally felt the tests overlapped one another, so no reason to wait. I would tell you good luck, but I have no doubt you will pass both of them first time!
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I grew up building and troubleshooting my own machines as well, so I don't think I'll need to lab or anything for the A+. Just kind of need the cert. to help with entry level. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

oh i meant fiddle around with their selection taking a look. making sure you know each and every type or interface or connection.

if youre super new, THEN building a pc would help.
    not the case for you

for the 702, make sure you have the 6 troubleshooting steps down solid.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    showbo wrote: »
    You will do ok. I read either 1 or 2 chapters per day. A few times I went 2 days to a full week without reading anything or studying! Bought the book on 9-24-10, took both tests one after another on 11-24-10 and passed. I was the same way as you, worked on and built computers since I was 14, so the book itself, the Mike Meyers book, was somewhat a bore to me at times. (No way knocking the book, it helped me pass both tests with ease). What I mean by a bore is, if you are reading over some material and its boring to you, meaning you know it already, just skim through it.

Lots of Call of duty MW2 inbetween studying!

Take both tests the same day if you can. I personally felt the tests overlapped one another, so no reason to wait. I would tell you good luck, but I have no doubt you will pass both of them first time!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I do agree that sometimes it can get boring - I often feel like skipping over the things I already know, but I read through them anyway, can never be too careful, I s'pose.

Quick question: Do 220-701/702 not have requestions regarding I/O, IRQ, and DMA addresses/ranges? I started the book last Monday and I am about to start chapter 6 (RAM), but I don't see anything about memorizing certain address ranges - perhaps they got rid of it with the 2009 edition.

Also, woops, Cisco Inferno, I definitely misread what you typed - my bad!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

I would recommend setting an hour or two aside once or twice per day and cover what you cover.

Some chapters may take you longer and others you might only need to glace at.

For myself, it seems that when I have a set schedule to study...it gets done. So pick 5-6am or 7-8pm or whatever fits your day and use those hours to cover the material.

Though can a chapter-a-day work? Yes. Just depends on you and how you learn.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I would recommend setting an hour or two aside once or twice per day and cover what you cover.

Some chapters may take you longer and others you might only need to glace at.

For myself, it seems that when I have a set schedule to study...it gets done. So pick 5-6am or 7-8pm or whatever fits your day and use those hours to cover the material.

Though can a chapter-a-day work? Yes. Just depends on you and how you learn.

I've been studying 7-8pm or 7-9pm depending on the night. I'm still wondering if I need to memorize DMA addresses for the A+, it doesn't appear to be listed in the exam objectives, unless I went over something.
  • Options
    I've been studying 7-8pm or 7-9pm depending on the night. I'm still wondering if I need to memorize DMA addresses for the A+, it doesn't appear to be listed in the exam objectives, unless I went over something.

Bump for DMA addressing and IRQ clarification. :)