MySQL - Oracle's Year in Review

j6morrisj6morris Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm interested to see the opinions of other users who are actively involved in the DB world, whether administrators or developers, on the matter of MySQL.

1. After Oracle acquired MySQL over a year ago, has the change been beneficial? For that matter, has there been a noticeable change?

2. As someone who's very interested in SQL, primarily from a PHP/Web Design perspective, is MySQL worth delving into? I'm leaning on the idea of the Oracle MySQL Associate certificate hopefully opening a few doors. MySQL, to me at least, seems like a good shallow water to wade into at first. Would it be more beneficial to dive right into a different DBMS?

3. How difficult is it to transition from MySQL to either Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle 10/11. Is there specific functionality that you don't find in MySQL that you utilize often in other systems?

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    j6morris wrote: »
    2. As someone who's very interested in SQL, primarily from a PHP/Web Design perspective, is MySQL worth delving into? I'm leaning on the idea of the Oracle MySQL Associate certificate hopefully opening a few doors. MySQL, to me at least, seems like a good shallow water to wade into at first. Would it be more beneficial to dive right into a different DBMS?

I skipped looking at 1 and 3 on purpose, as I'm not qualified to answer those questions.

You actually asked two questions here.
    Q: Is MySQL good for a PHP Web developer?
    A: Yes, it's alright. Look up "LAMP". I actually did a "W-AMP" setup at one job, but only used it as the backend for Joomla.

Q: Which DBMS has the best employment prospects?
    A: Not sure. I would go on careerbuilder,com, monster.com, and dice.com. I would simply search on the following: MySQL, Oracle, or SQL (Sorry, but no one hardly calls Microsoft's product "ms-sql" as they should)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)