Options

Console cable

Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
Hey guys,
I am a cisco guy so help me out here. I just got a J2300. Would I be able to use a console cable that you get with Cisco or do I need something else? If you could post a link that would be very helpful!!!
Eating humble pie.

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I believe they're the same thing, just a rolled straight cable. The only difference I've seen is with a Cyclades term server. They have some special pin outs for their junk.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Well, I powered up the J2300 and consoled in and putty does not show anything. The cable is fine and so is the terminal emulator. Any suggestions?
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    hmm, hopefully it's not a bricked router, had that happen to a j2300 of mine when I attempted to upgrade the memory with the unsupported stuff...

What does the bush light on the left side do when you start it up. Does it flash for a min or so then go solid? Or does it go solid from the start?

Solid from the start is a bricked router for sure, so here's hoping that's not it.

-Bender
  • Options
    Aldur wrote: »
    hmm, hopefully it's not a bricked router, had that happen to a j2300 of mine when I attempted to upgrade the memory with the unsupported stuff...

What does the bush light on the left side do when you start it up. Does it flash for a min or so then go solid? Or does it go solid from the start?

Solid from the start is a bricked router for sure, so here's hoping that's not it.

Yeah the blue bush light stays on from the start... so it is bricked... any suggestions?
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    eww, that's not a good sign, maybe crack it open and re-seat the memory?

Where did you get the router by chance? If you bought it does the seller have a return policy?

-Bender
  • Options
    Aldur wrote: »
    eww, that's not a good sign, maybe crack it open and re-seat the memory?

Where did you get the router by chance? If you bought it does the seller have a return policy?

yeah, I got it off ebay and it was listed as working. So there is nothing that can be done to salvage this?
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    I've never been able to bring a J series router back after I get a steady blue bush light like that. I think there is something really messed up at that point. I believe that router doesn't even post.

My one router that I did brick I currently have in my home gym and it works fantastic for calf raises. :)

I'd contact the ebay seller and open up a can on them. If they listed it as working and it showed up DOA, they should refund your money or send you another. You can always threaten a bad report and you actually might be able to file a complaint with ebay since the item was not as listed.

-Bender
  • Options
    WOW that bad eh? that sucks... oh well. Thanks Aldur for your help. BTW, am studying for my CCNP Switch now... that thing is a *****. Just got my hands on 2 MLS that I got from Ebay.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    Yea, unfortunately that bad. Any luck you can get some recourse from the ebay seller?

And good luck on your CCNP switch. I'll be going that route some day, probably next year. Got some IE's to renew this year and a new IE to get still.

-Bender
  • Options
    Thanks and good luck
    Eating humble pie.