Options

Best term server NLB device?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
just started a new job a few months ago. We're updating a network that hasnt been patched since 2008. We are currently running server 2003, with 2 term servers. There seem to be slowdown issues at times... cpu spikes, you get it... ANYWAY, i'd like to add 2 more term servers and load balance them. I dont really want to do any round robin stuff, since we are 90% thin client. We will be upgrading from ESX 3.5 and server 2003 tp ESXi 4.0/server 2008 soon. What do you guys think is a good hardware NLB solution? Or do you think the 2008 NLB is ok? We have 2 locations, connected by a 100mbp EVPL connection... and ~150 users connecting to our NextGen environment.

Oh, i have been looking at the Coyote Point E250GX load balancer.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Zeus and loadbalancer.org getting my vote..

ZEUS' are a lot better and can even be installed in VMs (they even provide appliances)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Microsoft is weird about their guidance in this type of thing. They say NLB should be fine but they recommend a hardware solution from one of their partners for prod environments. Honestly and truly if I were you I would use a cluster of citrix servers, they do load balancing natively and have a long track record of success. Citrix is a big investment, but so is a hardware balancer.
  • Options
    tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    Microsoft is weird about their guidance in this type of thing. They say NLB should be fine but they recommend a hardware solution from one of their partners for prod environments. Honestly and truly if I were you I would use a cluster of citrix servers, they do load balancing natively and have a long track record of success. Citrix is a big investment, but so is a hardware balancer.
    Funny you mention that, the company that was doing the IT stuff here moved them off Citrix when they became a MS partner and things slowly went downhill from there. i may look into that. How does it work? Would we **** the term servers, or do they become part of the Citrix farm? I cant even remember, its been so long......