Options

Microsoft: SCE & Forefront products

SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
Anyone use the cheaper version of SCCM, called System Center Essentials 2010? Was thinking of putting that on a new file server in the near future here.

My antivirus licenses expire later this year as well. Was curious if there were any fans of Microsoft's Forefront. As well as if it can be a managed by SCE 2010. I assume so, since it appears to work similarly to SCCM.
WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Last time I used forefront endpoint it had its own management console. I like forefront, programatically it is nearly identical to MS Security Essentials which is a great AV product.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Last time I used forefront endpoint it had its own management console. I like forefront, programatically it is nearly identical to MS Security Essentials which is a great AV product.

Ah, and I am a huge fan of MSE. The reason I was asking about SCE/SCCM was this.

Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 or R3 serves as the management infrastructure for Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010. For customers who want to centrally manage Forefront Endpoint Protection, valid System Center Configuration Manager 2007 licenses are required.

In addition to being offered as a stand-alone product, Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 can be purchased as part of the Core CAL Suite or Forefront Protection Suite.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Anyone use the cheaper version of SCCM, called System Center Essentials 2010? Was thinking of putting that on a new file server in the near future here.

My antivirus licenses expire later this year as well. Was curious if there were any fans of Microsoft's Forefront. As well as if it can be a managed by SCE 2010. I assume so, since it appears to work similarly to SCCM.

SteveLord,

Whats up buddy? I havent been hanging around the guard forums much. How ya been?

Anyways. I am installing SCCM right now. I have heard and read lots of good things - so far there is a lot of prereqs for it - not sure how similar the install is for SCE but they are both great products.

I have also heard great things about Forefront. I would love to switch to it but our district declined the licensing that offered us the core pack (we are a school district so it would have been a great price).
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    SteveLord wrote: »

I just wrapped up an enterprise FEP deployment, and I am convinced FEP is a viable client security product. However, FEP does require SCCM for central management. You can deploy the client through the command line, configure WSUS for definition updates, and manage client policies through group policy, but I don't know how you could get the reporting to work without SCCM and SRS.

FEP will be part of the core CAL in August so you will now have free antivirus. The money you save by dropping your current AV vendor may cover the SCCM server licenses.