Passed CCNA Security

zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
Took the exam on Tuesday and passed with a score of 988. Looking forward to getting into some certifications that involve work with actual firewalls.

CCNP Security is next up. I want to do the 642-617 FIREWALL v1.0 but I can't find the book online anywhere. Amazon has it, but won't be selling it until September. What's the current situation with this certification. It seems like everything isn't quite in place yet.

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Thanks Chris, but why would I have to resort to using the rough cuts version of the book? Has anyone taken this exam yet? Is it even available?
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    The exams are available but as far as official study material from Cisco press the rough cuts are the only thing out there right now.

Congrats on passing the CCNA:Sec btw!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    zen master wrote: »
    Took the exam on Tuesday and passed with a score of 988. Looking forward to getting into some certifications that involve work with actual firewalls.

CCNP Security is next up. I want to do the 642-617 FIREWALL v1.0 but I can't find the book online anywhere. Amazon has it, but won't be selling it until September. What's the current situation with this certification. It seems like everything isn't quite in place yet.

Congrats on the pass and excellent score!

I plan to try to get this one (CCNA:Security) in July, and will just study for CCNP:Security using the CCSP books/Cisco documentation, which should cover the objectives for the CCNP:Security track.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • rjirji Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass with an awesome score!. I plan on taking the exam after I return from my 2 month holiday :D. Any useful pointers? decent books, cbts etc etc
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    rji wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass with an awesome score!. I plan on taking the exam after I return from my 2 month holiday :D. Any useful pointers? decent books, cbts etc etc

I used the books from cisco press and had them mailed to me. I got them on amazon. I also used the CBTNuggets videos. I bought an ASA 5505 Firewall (not required for this exam, it was a mistake, but I'll use it next year when I start along the CCNP Security track. Just giving that new exam track to "settle down". I think I'll switch back to focusing on Microsoft certs until next year. ), a 2611xm router, and a catalyst 3550 48 port switch. You may need a COO account with CISCO to get the latest IOS. I bought my equipment off amazon, and some of it didn't come with the IOS that I needed to run SDM. Good luck!