Options

CCNP, CISSP: What do I do next?

lla1977lla1977 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently work as an Operations Manager and have CISSP and CCNP among other lesser certs. I am unsure what direction to go next certification-wise and career-wise when the time comes. I started from the bottom as tech support rep, then field tech, and have experience as Network Engineer. Not sure what to do next... Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    cio or director? mba if you dont have it.
  • Options
    WGU is probably the best I can afford and they have an IT related MBA program... Is a MBA from WGU going to get me where I want to go? Never heard of the school before tonight...
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I dont know. When it comes to MBA, you're better off getting in a real university and not some unheard online school.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I dont know. When it comes to MBA, you're better off getting in a real university and not some unheard online school.

That's going to draw the WGU fanatics out of the woodwork. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Go for the CISSP-ISSMP concentration.
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    Get an MBA from a top school...if your employer pays for it.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    alan2308 wrote: »
    That's going to draw the WGU fanatics out of the woodwork. icon_mrgreen.gif

It shouldn't, WGU does not have AACSB accred. for the MBA which is big among the fortune 500. As a WGU graduate if I were going for my MBA I would actually be attending the University of Florida distance program... if it weren't so gosh darn expensive! Instead I went the MS:ISA route from WGU to obtain the NSA CNSS 4011 & 4013 designations.

You have to ask yourself what you want to do long term. If the management path is what you prefer then look into the CISM, CoBIT, ITIL (past foundations), and PMP certifications. You may even want to consider studying up for TOGAF. If it's technical you want then take your lesser CCNP and turn it into a CCIE or CCDE. Ultimately you have to decide where your interests lie and from there the direction will fall into place.

Good Luck
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    So I am going to let my company push me through ITIL and I will use tuition reimbursement for Virginia Techs distance MIT program which is about 1800 per 3 credit class... So the whole thing will probably cost me around 18 grand minus about 7 grand in reimbursement.

I think this way I can still toy with both the management and technical side of things if need be... Wish me luck!!