Options

Whats the best way to upgrade

PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im going to do my first upgrade this week.
I intend to go from Win98 to Xp.

Should i wipe Win 98 off the computer in question and install XP or should i install XP over the top of Win 98?

Whats the best way to go. Remember im a novice at this sort of thing.

Cheers guys! :D

Comments

• Options
    PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What??? Nobody knows????? lol :)
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    I have always heard that it is better to do a clean install. I tried upgrading Win98 to Win2000 once, which wasn't successful. I think it had something to do with my Win98 partition originally cloned by the original owner of the computer. Anyways, I did a clean install and it worked out fine, so I'm guessing that WinXP would work out the same way. That's just my 2 cents on it.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I always recco doing a clean install. I use a seperate boot disk to format the drive, and start anew.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    dsa1971dsa1971 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I always do clean installs when I upgrade my OS. It makes life so much easier and you get to go back and install only the apps you really use getting rid of all the apps you never use but also never uninstall.
  • Options
    darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
    gravyjoe wrote:
    I think it had something to do with my Win98 partition originally cloned by the original owner of the computer.

I am sorry but i could not understand what did you mean by that.

Also, i upgraded my computer from Win98 to WinXP & it worked fine, but yeah i also agree that its always better to do a clean install to have that clean feeling, also if you are doing an upgrade, & you click on yes to store the uninstall information, it takes up a lot of space unneccesarily on your hard-disk, which you seldom need.
    321hahaha.jpg
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Unless you want your old existing files with the computer do a clean install. If it is for someone else, please backup their data and just do an upgrade for them. But like we all pretty much said here if its for yourself or someone that needs a stable OS do a CLEAN INSTALL> good luck
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Put upgrading out of your mind, a clean install is the only way to go from 98 to XP. Otherwise you will just be reloading windows later anyways :P
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree if for no other reason than the desktops are not compatible. You will always end up with XP type things that never work right because of things done to the 98 desktop. You also end up with lots of invalid registry entries that never go away.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Upgrading a 98? I know XP "runs better" than 98 & 2K, but that processor is going to get taxed, and some things (like voice recognition) require a faster PC.

But if you set on upgrade or clean, remember FAST & USMT so you can take your settings with you. icon_lol.gif

For $300, Dell will get you up to date with a new PC. If I had not already put together a PC on my own a few months before the promotion, I would have done that.
  • Options
    RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    Clean install is always the best.

I have encountered some iffy issues when customers upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP. (Eg. Slow performance, some programs won't run properly)
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like many here have mentioned - a clean install is the best way of doing things. As an experiment a few weeks ago I reimaged a Compaq D320 with the manufaturers CD and then upgraded to XP. I also did a clean install on another one at the same time - the clean install out performed the upgrade when running benchmark tests by a wide margin.
    On other thing to remember is that most machines that have W98 on them will be running 100Mhz SDRAM or slower and it is a pain (and very expensive) to find extra SDRAM these days. XP with SP2 will need 384 MB RAM as a minimum (preferably 512) if you want it to run with reasonable results.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    XP with SP2 will need 384 MB RAM as a minimum (preferably 512) if you want it to run with reasonable results.

OMG i am running XP ( without SP2 ) & i have only 256MB of PC600 RDRAM, what i am i doing icon_eek.gif
    321hahaha.jpg
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkmagic wrote:
    OMG i am running XP ( without SP2 ) & i have only 256MB of PC600 RDRAM, what i am i doing icon_eek.gif

Struggling probably ... lol
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    darkmagic wrote:

Struggling probably ... lol

Well, actually i would say i am doing pretty good, i am running 3 Bit torrent clients at the same time & running a POP-CAP game & have media player 10.0 running in the back ground. I am not complaining icon_lol.gif
    321hahaha.jpg
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Ewwww, page files icon_lol.gif

I predict the amount of total ram (physical and virtual) consumption I will use on my PC's, and I go above that figure. My main box that I mostly use for everything, gaming, surfing, etc has 2 gigs and swapfile disabled.

I can attest to haveing XP SP1 on a rig with 256 MB of ram, my last work laptop had 256 MB ram, ran like crap. Get in the office, boot it up, then go get my coffee icon_lol.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    Get in the office, boot it up, then go get my coffee icon_lol.gif

I would go to get a glass of water icon_lol.gif

And it would do icon_wink.gif
    321hahaha.jpg