laptop recovery software

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Anyone have a good recommendation for recovery software, like lojack for laptops? We had one stolen sometime Sun night, and NOW we have to find a good software solution. This is for Windows based machines.

Anyone with a success story? I know once they get the machine they can rip out the drive or format it quickly. Just looking for some peace of mind.

Comments

• WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Anyone have a good recommendation for recovery software, like lojack for laptops? We had one stolen sometime Sun night, and NOW we have to find a good software solution. This is for Windows based machines.

Anyone with a success story? I know once they get the machine they can rip out the drive or format it quickly. Just looking for some peace of mind.

Honestly, you have to have a hardware/software solution to get full protection and you can only get that through your systems provider because it has to be built-in. Software-based solutions like Computrace (LoJack for Computers on the consumer side) reside on the storage medium and are great for recovering laptops and remotely deleting data but can be easily circumvented by anyone who deliberately steals a laptop for the data it contains. The best thing you can do is to contact whomever is providing your hardware (Dell, HP, Lenovo, whatever) and see what the options are for the gear you have gotten from them. If you're going through a third-party who just provides you with random stuff, then you'd best pray to a higher power that you can figure something out.
  • estamandestamand Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Some manufacturers have these some of these apps in the BIOS where it can't easily be wipped. I know Toshiba has Computrace embeded in their BIOS although I've never used it.