When is going to be the next Network+ exam?

aaforumaaforum Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going to sit for N10-004 in the coming months. I just want to know if compTIA has any plans for announcing a new version of the exam like N10-005 in the near future.and if it does so and i'll have passed my N10-004 exam by then, does the new exam have any advantages compared to the exam i want to take in my resume.or is it better for me to wait and sit for the new exam?

Comments

• djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Not that I know of, however the cert is only good for 3 years from when the test is passed. So if a new test is created or not, it will still only last for 3 years.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    djfunz wrote: »
    Not that I know of, however the cert is only good for 3 years from when the test is passed. So if a new test is created or not, it will still only last for 3 years.

With that being said, I am not 100% on this Network+ ce Cert. So I have to pay 49 dollars a year to keep my cert valid?
  • hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    aaforum wrote: »
    I'm going to sit for N10-004 in the coming months. I just want to know if compTIA has any plans for announcing a new version of the exam like N10-005 in the near future.and if it does so and i'll have passed my N10-004 exam by then, does the new exam have any advantages compared to the exam i want to take in my resume.or is it better for me to wait and sit for the new exam?

Depends on what you mean by "coming months". I know that CompTIA is starting to get IT professionals together to evaluate beta questions and the like.

The current exam is based on 2009 objectives. Considering it is the middle of 2011, I would expect them to start slowly creating the test. It will be a while before the next test comes out. I'm guessing sometime in 2012 we will see a new Network+ exam.

However, even though CompTIA will announce the exam, you still have 6 months from that announcement date to take the old exam. So in short, if you are taking the exam before the end of this year, then I would recommend taking it, otherwise wait. The new exam won't have that many advantages, it will just be over updated objectives, which may or may not be more difficult. Employers normally just want to see that you passed the certification.
  • aaforumaaforum Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just came across a web page in compTIA site stating that the expected date for the network+ 2009 expiration will be august 2013.
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    showbo wrote: »
    With that being said, I am not 100% on this Network+ ce Cert. So I have to pay 49 dollars a year to keep my cert valid?

I get that impression, however I think $49 for a whole year is not too crazy an asking price. Is CompTIA being greedy? Perhaps, but with the entry level certs, many more people have them and I guess it's a good way to weed out some of the people that are maybe not so serious in keeping up to date. Again I'm only talking about entry level certs here. Once one attains Microsoft or Cisco certs, your no longer a novice and CompTIA becomes kinda obsolete anyway. I personally find $49 a year annoying but by no means an insurmountable amount to put aside in a years time for something I'm serious about and proud of achieving.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • JugglingRefereeJugglingReferee Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Money grab. That's all it is.
  • showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    djfunz wrote: »
    I get that impression, however I think $49 for a whole year is not too crazy an asking price. Is CompTIA being greedy? Perhaps, but with the entry level certs, many more people have them and I guess it's a good way to weed out some of the people that are maybe not so serious in keeping up to date. Again I'm only talking about entry level certs here. Once one attains Microsoft or Cisco certs, your no longer a novice and CompTIA becomes kinda obsolete anyway. I personally find $49 a year annoying but by no means an insurmountable amount to put aside in a years time for something I'm serious about and proud of achieving.

Agreed on the cost. By no means was I complaining about 49 dollars. Hell I will shell out 70 for a game without thinking twice about, and I buy serveral games in a year.

I am just asking since I got my cert last week, do I have to pay 49 dollars right now to have it be valid? That is what I am confused about, probably better if I call them and just ask. I will report back with official word.
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    showbo wrote: »
    Agreed on the cost. By no means was I complaining about 49 dollars. Hell I will shell out 70 for a game without thinking twice about, and I buy serveral games in a year.

I am just asking since I got my cert last week, do I have to pay 49 dollars right now to have it be valid? That is what I am confused about, probably better if I call them and just ask. I will report back with official word.

If you just passed it, then no. In 3 years it is scheduled to expire. At that time it will cost you $49 to extend it a year.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    If you just passed it, then no. In 3 years it is scheduled to expire. At that time it will cost you $49 to extend it a year.

that's really not so bad, instead of retesting and paying $250 again... 3yrs after passing and then 50..every yr after that...yea I think 8yrs later it won't mean much to you...